Dutch Navy 9mmP Boxes/Tins---pre-WWII

I am trying to write something on the Boxes/Tins used by the Dutch Navy from about 1928 through 1939. The Dutch Colonial Troops adopted the Luger in about 1911, but they were not part of the Ministry of War (later the Ministry of Defense). The Navy did but a very few Luger pistols in 1918 for their pilots, but didn’t adopt the pistol until 1928. All of their ammunition from this point as procured from RWS.

Originally this ammunition was packed in square 48rd tins. I have only seen a photo of this tin. In the early 1930s they began using a round 48rd tins, and the Navy units in the East Indies used a round 2rd tin as shown below.

I am looking for images of these and similar tins to document the dates of production, and particularly any of the square tins.

Any help apprecaited.

Cheers,
Lew

Dutch Navy 1932

1 Like

In the book “The Dutch Luger - A Complete History” by Martens and de Vries, ISBN 0-935554-07-6 published in 1994 chapter 11, pages 237 to 244 is given over to Dutch Luger Ammunition. On page 243 there is a section on Navy cartridges … and here I paraphrase slightly for brevity;

"The Dutch Navy ordered all of its Luger cartridges from RWS. Until 1928, they were bought in commercial cartons, but with the introduction of the Luger for general Navy use, another packaging was introduced: a rectangular tin box with 48 cartridges, placed in six rows of eight. The lid was covered with a white label on which the logos of both RWS and its Amsterdam representative, the firm of Johan Munts, were printed. together with the type and number of cartridges and the month and year of their delivery … "

NB. Only “RWS” has been shortened from the full company name.

Peter

1 Like

Many thanks! I had only seen this tin in “The Dutch Luger” which is the prime source. Your box is in much better shape than the one in the book!

I assume that the cartridges in this are headstamped “RWS 1932”

Does anyone have round tins dated before 1937!!! I think the label is different.

Cheers,
Lew