DWM 50 Year History

This history was published in 1939. Unfortunately, for me, it is in German, but on page 137 there begins a year by year list of significant accomplishments. I am using my computer to try and create a chronology I can use.

I found the entry for 1893 interesting:

1893 July 28: Contract with the Minister of Colonies in the Hague on the supply of machinery and facilities for filling and closing tubes for the opium factory in Batavia.

1. Juli: Vertrag mit dem Minister der Kolonien im Haag über die Lieferung von Maschinen und Einrichtungen zum Fiillen und Verschließen von Tuben für die Opiumfabrik in Batavia.

It was a different world back then! I can see where DWM would be well suited to make the machinery to produce and fill these tubes. Just another business opportunity. I suspect other ammunition manufacturers in Europe competed for this contract!

Cheers,
Lew

PS: I’ve finished this. It is about 7 pages long. No great insights, but interesting. If you’d like a pdf copy drop me an email and let me know. It is all machine translation.

Lew, this has already been done:

DWM Chronology by Jonathan Uhlman [From IAA #441 : 2005]
This is a translation of the complete Chronology (pages 137-141), from 50 Jahre Deutsche Warren- und Munitions-fabriken Aktiengesellschaft, compiled by Friedrich l-tassler and Adolf Bihl. (1939. VDI Verlag. Berlin, Germany).

The translation by Jonathan Uhlman seems quite OK in my view. Publisher VDI is the professional association of German engineers, Verein Deutscher Ingenieure.

The shooting range “near Königs-Wusterhausen” in reality was in the town called Wildau today. While originally planned to be 1200 m long, it allowed shooting up to 900 m. It was aquired by DWM in 1910 from “Centralstelle für technisch-wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen” (not mentioned in the DWM chronology, but in that of Centralstelle). Arthur Gleinich, named as inventor of the S bullet in its U.S. patent, was the director of the range in 1914. The area of the range is a public park today.

Centralstelle was a research institution financed by Dynamit AG, DWM and others, founded in 1899. Krupp was a member for a few years. It only did research for its members, plus the military, particulary the Navy on propellant stability. The Centralit propellant stabilizers were developed there. (As was Akardit, but so far I have no idea where this name comes from.)

Thanks!

I’ll compare Jonathan’s translations to those of Google Translator and give the computer a score!

Thanks!

Lew