DWM 7.9mm

What do the two letter L’s actually mean on this 7.9mm Glimspur? Do they mean the cartridge was made by DWM Lubeck or are they a date code?
I suspect this is contract ammunition but who was it made for? Was it Portugal perhaps?

Hi JIm,

L stands for Lübeck.
The box that belong to these cartridges mention Exp. ( Export )
but for which country is unknown.

451kr.

That’s great information, thank you very much! I have no experience of interpreting German box labels but it appears to me that the number ‘43’ occurs several times. Does this indicate that these rounds were produced in 1943?

Jim:

THE SMALL LETTERS EITHER SIDE OF DWM ARE THE DATE CODE. I CAN’T DETERMINE IF THE LETTERS ARE, “O” OR “Q”. IF THEY ARE “O” THE YEAR IS 1932, IF THEY ARE “Q” THE YEAR IS 1930. AT LEAST THAT’S WHAT MY LIST INDICATES, IF MY LIST IS WRONG, THEN MY ANSWER IS WRONG.

One wonders what genius got the idea to put labels with the the secret factory code edq on boxes with cases showing the plant identification in clear.

The small letters either side of DWM are ‘O’. I’m just surprised to see the number ‘43’ appear four times on the label…
If this was produced in 1932 any thoughts on who it was likely to have been a contract for?

Bureaucracies have rules and large bureaucracies have lots of rules and the more rules there are the less sense they make when they overlap. In large bureaucracies it is almost impossible to question a rule so you are faced with either breaking it and doing the right thing or following the rules and if something goes to hell, it isn’t your fault. It is truly a fascinating process to watch, even in the ammo business.

Cheers,
Lew

The manufacturer’s code edq , which had to be used for the “Deutsche Wehrmacht” was not allowed to be used for exports.
So the normal manufacturer’s marks were used, in this case “ L DWM L ” instead of “ edq ”

To my opinion the small letters has nothing to do with a date on this 7,9.
The 7,9 Gl,spur was introduced in 1941 and made until 1944
So it`s with the great certainty that your round was made in 1943.

451kr.

Thank you 451kr!

Here is a sectioned round with this headstamp.

Paul