DWM BKIW 0mm Box question on rust free primers

I have the three boxes pictured below in my collection. I am trying to date them. They are identical with the BKIW end labels. The only difference is that one is stamped “rostfreis Zundung” which I believe is “Rust Free Priming”. Another has the “NICORRO” overlabel in the top left which I believe is also a Rust Free/non corrosive marking.

Does anyone have a an idea when the “rostfreis Zundung” stamp and the “NICORRO” sticker may have been introduced. The date stamps on these three boxes are, top to bottom: “233 a V”, “395 a” and “266 s V”.

Any help dating these boxes would be a great help, even hints at a date are useful.

The BKIW was used from May 1922 until 1936 according to information I have, though there are some uncertainty on the 1936 date. It is unlikely that DWM produced 9x19mm ammo commercially before the late 1920s or early 1930s, but I don’t have a complete set of export catalogs to confirm this. Two of the boxes (both non-corrosive marked) have “Stoeger” labels on the side.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew, can you post images or descriptions of the Stoeger labels?

The Nicorro symbol doesn’t appear until c1933. It was not listed in the 1930 DWM catalog nor shown on the cover of the 1932 (but I don’t have a full copy of this catalog). It was shown in the catalog of 1934.

The term 'NICORRO" appears on the cover of and inside the 1934 and 1935 catalogs for DWM. Unfortunately, I do not have a 1932 or 1933 catalog. My next catalog after 1938, and it contains no mention that I can find of “NICORRO” including in a little blurb about their trademarks.

The only cartridge I have ever seen with a NICORRO headstamp is 7.63 x 25 mm Mauser.

Lew - it is interesting that the book celebrating 50 Years of Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken, A.-G., published in 1939, of which I have an original copy, has two successive chapters entitled “Berlin-Karlsruher Industrie-Werke A.-G., 1922 bis 1933” on page 94, followed by “Wieder: Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken 1933 bis 1939.”

I don’t read German enough to assess whether or not they are intimating that the name changed from BKIW to DWM in 1933. There was a period when the name was “Berlin-Karlsruher Industrie-Werke A.-G., vormals Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken.”

I find it interesting, since that second form, “BKIW vormals DWM” name is what is on my catalogs of 1934 and 1935, indicating that they continued to use the BKIW appellation until at least 1935. I have no 1936 catalog.

It would be interesting to know what years DWM actually issued catalogs, domestic and export. They are known for not publishing one every year, but that seemed to change in the 1930s.

Nicorro, when introduced, was non-corrosive (chlorate-free) but still contained mercuy-fulminate.

BKIW was indeed changed back to the old name DWM.

The NICORRO trademark was filled by BKIW in 1934, at least in Argentina. Regarding the last use of “BKIW vormals DWM”, this designation appears in all 1936 catalogs, including German, English, Inland and Engros-liste editions. The NICORRO trademark is last illustrated in the cover of these catalogs from 1936, and also appears in the 1937 edition, but only in the inside pages.

BKIW took over the DWM assets after WW I; ( more a “corporate re-organisation” than a “buy-out”)…That is what “BKIW vormals (Formerly) DWM” means…it was usual in many European Languages, when a company Name was changed due to take-over, sale, etc, to, for a short time, use the two names linked by “Formerly” or “Successors to” to identify the new firm with the old firm (and its goodwill).
The practice continued even into the 30s, when the III R took over some civilian factories (foreign-owned or Jewish)…eg," Patronen-Fabrik Schoenebeck-am-Elbe, Vormals Sellier u Bellot".

BY the 1930s, with the rise of the Nazis and the abrogation of Versailles, companies did away with the “artificial” corporate IDs, and returned to their original Names ( ie, BKIW>>DWM).

Doc AV

Fede, Here is the Stoeger label. It is the same on both boxes. This implies to me that Stoeger was the sole agent for commercial sale of both DWM pistols and ammunition in the US in the 1930s. Does anyone know when they became sole agent??

Can anyone provide some idea when the “rostfreis Zundung” stamp was used. I assume it was 1932 or 1933 from the posts. Is this a good estimate?

My reference for the BKIW name indicated that it was dropped by 1936, but there are indications it had been dropped for some applications as early as the late 1920s. I guess the catalogs are the best indicator of when BKIW appeared on boxes. Particularly useful would be images of box labels from the various catalogs, especially those of pistol ammunition. If you have catalogs, please consider posting the relevant images. These could also help pin down when the box styles changed.

There is a BKIW box (pictured below) with black trim which is a later style than those posted at the beginning of this thread. This box has the NICORRO printed on the one end label. The other has “DWM”. My guess is this box must date from roughly 1935 or 1936. The code on the back is “039 A E V”. I also have a very similar box with only “Deutsche Waffen Und Munitionsfabriken” in the square on the front label which must be a post 1936 box. Their are also a number of boxes with the black trim in French and Spanish which also must date from 1935 or later, but these have no company name on them.

Can anyone confirm the approximate year when the 9mm first appeared in the DWM catalogs? It would have been in an Export catalog I suspect.

Many thanks for the great help! It really makes this type of research fun.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew - DWM 480C first appears in the 1904 Catalog No. 3. I think it must be the first catalog appearance of the cartridge, because I think Catalog No. 2 predates the production of the 9 mm Para cartridge. The 1904 catalog also shows the 480D cartridge, with the note “Für Karabiner geschwärzt.” I still have never seen or heard of any known specimens of the black-case Luger Carbine load in 9 mm Para. I have a black-case 9 mm Para load but the headstamp lettering clearly indicates much, much later production than 1904, probably in the late 1930s. It is not headstamped 480D either. I still don’t know for sure what the black case on that one is about.

Regarding your last posting and the box with the company name within top and bottom borders, I have a box similar to the one you show, except mine has only The “Deutsche Wassen- und Munitionsfabriken A.-G. Werk Karlsruhe i.B.” It, too, is marked “Made in Germany.” My box also differs in having only the bullet type beneath the caliber marking - “Rundkopfgeschosse.” I does not have any mention of the powder charge. One end label has the “DWM” Banner trademark, while the other end has the “NICORRO” Banner trademark. Beneath the NICORRO trademark are the words “Unbedingt rostfrei.” The lot number is 039 AEV. I received this box empty, so cannot report the headstamp, but I am sure it would have been K DWM K 480C and likely in the form with plain letters (no serifs).

You are correct that the domestic catalogs, at least for the1930s, do not show the DWM 480C cartridge. I have English Language export catalogs from 1938 and 1939, and they DO show the 9 mm Para round, both in Ball and Dummy.

You probably have this box, but I thought I should mention it here. If you want, I can send you a scan of the top label for posting on the Forum.

Lew: Note that the spelling of the stamped phrase on the middle box is “rostfreie Zundung” [with an Umlaut over the first u in Zundung]. This spelling is necessary because Zundung is a feminine noun and the modifying adjective thus ends in an e. It’s just the way the language works. Jack