E.Remington & Sons 1887 Pistol Cartridges

Here is the listing from the Lamberson, Furman & Co. 1887 catalog. They were the sole agents for E. Remington & Sons. This is the Centerfire Pistol listing.

Click on the image to enlarge it for reading.

There are several listing here that I have questions about.
It lists the following centerfire cartridges as Pistol, but I do not think any of them are.:

.32 Extra Long Centerfire
.32 Remington ( I think this refers to the .32-30 Rem)
.32 S&W Rifle
.44 Evens (Old model)
.44 Evens (New Model)
.44 Colt, Magazine (Is this for the Colt Rifle?)

I do not know a lot about guns. Has anyone ever seen or heard of any PISTOLS chambered for any of the above. If so, what models.

I surmise that all these are rifle only cartridges despite them being listed as Pistol rounds. I think what may have happened is that when either a type-setter or ad writer, neither of which knew much about ammunition, was making up the catalog, they included all of these under “Pistol” because of the FORM of the name. In the same catalog ALL the Sporting and Military cartridges are listed in the form .32-40 Win., .40-70 Sharps, .45-120 Sharps, etc. Note that all of the so called “Pistol” rounds above are just the caliber without a powder charge number. So they most likely thought that since they are like the .45 Colt and .44 Bull Dog in style, they “Must be Pistol cartridges”.

Hi, Ron…
Notice that they say “Pistol Sizes”…UMC did the same thing…the “small” rifle cartridges like 44 Evans, etc., were listed in the same list as the typical pistol or revolver cartridges…Randy

Randy–I have the U.M.C. listing for 1887 as well as the E.Rem. list. Actually, U.M.C. did not seperate the rifle and Pistol listing. They are all one contininous list. But at least the heading in the U.M.C. catalog is “Center Fire Pistol and Rifle Cartridges”.

As far as I know the .44 Evens, old & new were only used in the Evans rifle. Only ammo boxes I’ve seen have rifles on them (not pistols). Which is an odd duck, split reciever & mostly metal with wood only on the forearm plus upper & lower part of the stock. The stock has a wide tube rinning through it with a spiral guide that rotated the ammo into the lifter & etc. the weapon was loaded through the butt plate into this tube, which had a center piece which had 4 semi-circlular grooves that the ammo rested in while being guided by the sprial guide. Sorry if I didn’t explaing this very well, but operating on memory & it’s bed time!