E.Remington & Sons

Does anyone have a checklist or can provide any listings for ammunition made by or for Remington BEFORE the merger with UMC and using headstamps such as “E.REMINGTON & SONS” (Raised on .50-70 Govt.) or “Remington” (on Shotshells) or perhaps just “REM” or “Rem”. From at least 1875, Remington sold UMC brand ammunition in their Remington Arms. Co. catalogs. If known I would like to know the approximate date of use of any non-UMC headstamps sold by Remington.

Some Remington dates for ammunition:

1816-1865–Remington Armory–(Guns Only)

1 Jan.1865–Incorporated as E.Remington & Sons

1886–In Receivership

1888–Purchased by Winchester Repeating Arms Co. and
Hartley & Graham

1896–Winchester’s shares are bought by Marcellus Hartley and the name is changed to Remington Arms Company.

1911-Name changed to Remington-UMC after Remington Arms Co. and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. merged.

The earliest catalog I have is 1875. It shows only 5 rimfire cartridges (.22 Long, .32 Long, .38 Long, .44 Long & .46 Long) It does not say they made them, just that these are the cartridges adopted to the guns they make. Has anyone seen any rimfire box with the E.Remington & Sons name on it. I suspect they were UMC made, but n one of the drawings show any headstamp. This catalog alos shows 5 centerfire cartridge (.40-50-310 Paper Patched, .40-70-310 Paper Patched, Nos. .44 Long Range with 400 GR. Paper Patched bullet and 77 1/2 gr. powder, .44-90-550 Paper Patched “Special” for Creedmoor Rifle and .50 Government with 486 gr. lead bullet and 70 gr. powder). I have listed these as listed in the catalog. Again none of these are shown with a headstamp. The .50-70 Govt. probabily had the raised headstamp “E.REMINGTON & SONS”. Does anyone know when they first used this headstamp? It had to be sometime between 1873-1886.

The 1878 catalog has a long list of both rimfires and centerfires being offered for sale. (I suspect the rimfires were all UMC brand.). What calibres of centerfires are
known in “E.Remington & Sons” boxes. Are any of these headstamped. The catalog discusses using Brass shotshells in both 10 & 12 Ga., but oddly only list Paper 10 &12 ga. in the price list, no brass shells.

The 1885 catalog is the first one I have that shows a headstamp. It is “REMINGTON’S” (With an apostrophe) on 10, 12, 14,16A & 16B brass shotshells. I know they also used “E.REMINGTON” and “REMINGTON” (No apostrophe ) on shotshells in this era. Does anyone have any dates of use?. Again, this catalog has a long list of rimfire and centerfire calibers. I suspect the rimfires were all “U” headstamped and all the centerfires were “UMC” until 1911 when “REM-UMC” began to be used.

Does anyone know of any other headstamps being used by Remington between 1865 and 1911

No paper shells in 1885 catalogue ???

JP

JP–These are the only shot shells in the 1885 E.Remington & Sons Catalog. They are headstamped “REMINGTON’S 12”

Althrough the 1878 catalog lists 10 & 12 Ga. Paper shells, to my knowledge, no one has ever found one. I’m not sure E.Remington & Sons ever produced paper shot shells.

Hum !!!
Are you sure you have the 1877 catalogue ???
In mine they give price for :
All brass : 10, 12, 16
Paper : 10, 12

JP

Hi Ron !

1. Have you scans of 1878 catalogue ?
  2. I have the 1887 catalogue if you need
  3. Now another question :
    HAS SOMEBODY EVER SEEN A REMINGTON ALL BRASS SHELL WITH A OR B IN THE HSTP ?

Thanks
JP

[quote=“jean-pierre”]HAS SOMEBODY EVER SEEN A REMINGTON ALL BRASS SHELL WITH A OR B IN THE HSTP ?
[/quote]
EXCEPT 12 B or 14A, excuse me
JP

Ron…Back in 2000, Howard Hoovestol did a nice book on E. Remington and Sons cartridges…I have a copy…Randy

JP–My comment about the 1877 catalog not listing brass shot shells for sale was a typo. It is the 1878 catalog that should have been noted. Sorry for the confusion. Here is a scan of the page in question. The shot shells are in the middle of the second column. Note no brass shot shells.

I do not have scans of the 1878 catalog, but I do have a reprint done by the Rolling Block Press in 1984.

Yes, I have both the E.Remington 1887 catalog and the UMC 1887 catalog.

Too late, I already sent them to you
JP