Earliest known collector cartridge catalog?

Does anyone have a collector cartridge catalog dated earlier than this one? " P&M Collector’s Supply, Richmond Highlands, Washington. Price List of Single Specimen Cartridges for Cartridge Collectors, Criminologists, Students, Police Departments, Etc. July, 1938 Price 25 Cents " The cover has an illustration of a Winchester 70-150 cartridge, with the cartridge case printed in some kind of shiny,metallic, copper-colored ink. You don’t want to KNOW the prices!

Bill, the earliest cartridges for collectors lists that I’m aware were offered in 1928 by Chas. Shattuck in Dunkirk, NY and W. S. Lutz in Philadelphia, Pa. However, although not strictly a cartridges for collectors dealer, we must keep in mind that Francis Bannerman was offering lists including obsolete cartridges since 1884. Regards, Fede.

Hello Bill,

Mr. Guy Hildebrand a posted some photos, and a great write-up of Bannermans 1927 Catalogue of Military Goods, which can be found here: http://www.oldammo.com/pictures.htm

And as Fede pointed out, Bannerman Has been around a while. Here is a good write up about "Bannermans Legacy"
http://www.guns.com/2013/09/14/bannermans-legacy-ultimate-army-navy-store/

I too wish that the prices of cartridges didn’t go up with the rate of inflation… Only wishful thinking. Lol. I hope these links could be of use for your research, as I found tham very informative.

-Dave

I have been collecting for fifty+years and my impression is that cartridges have gone up way beyond just inflation. The major increases have been in the last thirty or so years. I bought my first 9 mm Mars cartridge for the going rate at the time - $20.00. It was the most I had paid for a cartridge up to that time, by far. It is not simply an inflationary scale either. My impression, again, is that the rare and more exotic stuff in popular collecting fields has gone up at a higher percentage of increase than have more common rounds. for the reverse, with more collectors digging out stuff today than in years long past, many things that used to be rare are now common (also due to other geopolitical conditions - I sold my first ball round of 7.62 x 39 of Russian manufacture, a very ordinary round today in the 1.00 range, for 10.00, which would be close to 60.00 today. So, at least with prices it is not completely, to quote “Superman stuff,” “up, up and awaaaay!” Plenty of it is, though.

As far as prices, we might be our worst enemy. Example: I decided to begin collecting dummies, due to the ease of shipping, and on two specific auction sites, I begin with what I thought were reasonable bids and thus begin a bidding war with one other person. The prices got out of hand very quickly. SO there is no inflation just how bad do two or more people want that cartridge.

One of the down sides of auctions is that you may be bidding against someone you know. Some auctions, such as Ward’s, get around this by not identifying bidders, but on others it’s usually very easy to ID the other guy.

I don’t think this necessarily drives the prices up. I am a disciplined bidder. I set my maximum bid and do not exceed it no matter who the other guy is. If we all follow that rule, value will be determined by what someone is willing to pay for any particular item. That is the way it should be, IMHO.

Ray