Early 7,62 x 51 Nato load from Spain

In 1964 the Cetme-C rifle was introduced in spanish service, and the 7,62 Nato round started mass production at Toledo and Palencia. All components in these cartridges were spanish made, but the previous year, 1963, some cartridges were loaded with spanish “metal” but belgian powder, while a suitable spanish powder was developed.

The round had a boattail bullet weighing 9,45 g. Both gilding metal and gilding metal clad steel jackets were used. The propellant was a belgian ball powder. Reference: Molina-Orea pages 452-453.

This 1963 cartridge was named “according to Nato standards”, was so identified on the boxes and had a distinctive headstamp (P 7,6 N 63). The “N” stands for Nato, obviously.

I don’t know if a large lot was made, but it seems unlikely because this headstamp is rarely found.

I have a cartridge headstamped P 7.6 58. Is it a NATO round even though it doesn’t have the (+) or an “N”.

It is GM, non magnetic. What does the core look like?? It has a high number ogive. Does that make it a Cetme??

Somebody please educate me. There is another thread going on the same cartridge, right??

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]I have a cartridge headstamped P 7.6 58. Is it a NATO round even though it doesn’t have the (+) or an “N”.

It is GM, non magnetic. What does the core look like?? It has a high number ogive. Does that make it a Cetme??

Ray[/quote]

Judging from the headstamp your specimen should be a Cetme CSP-003 production ball round. Although similar to the Nato round in dimensions, it was a lighter load. Bullet core was lead in the rear and plastic in the tip. The ogive is sharper than the common Nato one.

Some more info may be found in the other thread:

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1379

Is the hand written text on box contemporary with manufacture and if so what does it say?

Thanks
Dave S

[quote=“Dave S”]Is the hand written text on box contemporary with manufacture and if so what does it say?

Thanks
Dave S[/quote]

Yes, the text is contemporary. It says Gerencia (Management). It indicates the destination of this particular box of cartridges, which lacks the rubber stamp with the date.