Early Danish 9mm box or Swedish?

While we are on Danish boxes, I have the box photo below which was given to me as Danish.

My understanding is that M45 E indicates steel case ammunition. Sweden expermented with steel case ammunition during WWII but this box is dated 1951!

Can anyone confirm the nationality of this box and what type of cartridges it contained.

I have never heard of a steel case Danish 9mm Para.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Lew

Unless google has let me down badly the label is in Danish. Goog says “and” in English is “og” in Danish and “och” in Swedish. Jack

Removed for erroneous content. Answer made sense on basis of similarity of labels, but in this case, thank goodness we have Morten, who knows much more about 9 mm and all things Scandinavian than do I. I chose to delete my answer so it does “muddy the waters.”

The Box is Danish. While the “E” indicated steel cases in Sweden (E = Ersättningsmetall = replacement metal), on this early Danish box it indicates repacked British cartridges (E = England). The cartridges in this very nice box are probably headstamped B^E or H^N.
Why they designated the 9 mm M45 and not the usual M41 is unknown to me. I have only seen that designation on these “British” repacked boxes.

Forgot to mention that “Efterset og ompakket DEC. 1951” means “controlled and repacked December 1951”.
morten

Morten - I originally assumed the 45-date indicated the date on the headstamp. Of course, I had the whole story of the box wrong.

Could the “45” refer to the Kulsprutepistol Model 45?"

As the Danish M41 is different form the British 9x19 they probably saw a reason to use a different designation then and as 1945 was the year of adoption it received the regarding model number?
Danish post war documents/manuals may explain that if they are available somewhere.

Lew, this same model designation was also applied to Canadian wartime made cartridges.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14580

Edit: link added.

The English cartridges probably dropped to the Danish resistance movement,
that after the war is collected and inspected and repacked, cartridges can be stamped with different years, but the Danish term for cartridges M 45E.

Most 9mm cartridges that were dropped were Canadian produced but were designated as English, Canada belonged to the English throne

I have a box like the shown and the cartridges are head stamp DI

DI = Defence Industries Ltd.
Verdun, Quebec

Torben, as you are mentioning it. Was there a separate model designation for German 9x19 then which was taken over from German stocks after 1945?

Danish defense just after the war, never used German 9mm cartridges, only a few 7.92 x 57 rifle cartridges namely,

7.92 mm Sharp Cartridge M / 45T
7.92 mm Armor piercing Cartridge M / 45T w / light trail

Is there also a tracer known?
For many years I get this packet from a Nordic collector.
Inside are 10 SmK Lsp. P413 rounds from 1939.

Sweden-Denmark-Norway, I really don’t know.

Perhaps somebody recognise this pack.

Rgds
Dutch

[quote=“Torben”]The English cartridges probably dropped to the Danish resistance movement,
that after the war is collected and inspected and repacked, cartridges can be stamped with different years, but the Danish term for cartridges M 45E.
Most 9mm cartridges that were dropped were Canadian produced but were designated as English, Canada belonged to the English throne
I have a box like the shown and the cartridges are head stamp DI
DI = Defence Industries Ltd.
Verdun, Quebec[/quote]Most of the dropped was canadian with a split of approx 80% to 20% british*. When the resistance turned in their ammo, intact boxes where inspected and marked like the box Lew has shown. One exception was for loose ammo, for example emptied Sten magazines, this usually ended up in 50 count boxes like the one Lew had, which were the standard danish M/41 box at this time. I have found, and been given, boxes of canadian 9mm that did not have any official (danish) stamps on them and they probably came from deceased resistance members.
-Soren

*Based on what I have counted from handed in ammo.

Dutch
The package you shows are not Danish,

Dutch, The paper package and the way the string is applied looks very Eastern European. Russian? Bulgarian? Romanian?Odd, though, that the language is purely German.

Following from John Moss:

[quote]Here is a standard Canadian 64 round package remarked as a “repack” 28 April 1948." Unfortunately, the very important top line is illegible, at least to an English speaker. Cartridges are headstamped “DI 43 9mm.”

Most likely, the “DENMARK” was stamped later, at the time of re-exportation, to meet laws requiring country of origin. The markings shown on the top are the only ones on the box. All other sides are plain.[/quote]

Thanks!
Lew

[quote=“Lew”]Following from John Moss:

[quote]Here is a standard Canadian 64 round package remarked as a “repack” 28 April 1948." Unfortunately, the very important top line is illegible, at least to an English speaker. Cartridges are headstamped "DI 43 9mm."
Most likely, the “DENMARK” was stamped later, at the time of re-exportation, to meet laws requiring country of origin. The markings shown on the top are the only ones on the box. All other sides are plain.[/quote]

Thanks!
Lew[/quote]The stamp at the top has been seen clearer and is: Hærens Ammunitionsarsenal.
Soren

Soren - Thank you.