Early post-WWI Polte 7.9mm S.m.K. label

You never know what you will find hidden under the top label on boxes that have been re-used. Here is a pretty neat one I found under the “Lot unknown” label. The headstamp shown was what was originally in the box, but it now contains a mixture of later S.m.K. headstamps. This is the earliest post WWI S.m.K. label I have. Does anyone have any pictures of earlier ones (post-WWI S.m.K.)?

Phil: That’s a mighty interesting item. Does the “Do” indicate an early form of name for SKD? Thanks for the pic. Jack

Jack – It is actually “Dc.” who was Dreyse & Collenbusch, Sömmerda. They became Selve-Kronbiegel Dornheim (S.K.D.), Sömmerda in 1931

My oldest box (and only SmK) is the following:

Phil: Thanks for the information. I don’t suppose I realized Dreyse and Collenbusch was in business at so late a date. Jack

Phil: I found out a bit more about Dreyse & Collenbusch and its connection to SKD. In fact the Dreyse-Collenbusch-Kronbiegel interrelationship dates back to the early 19th century, predating Dreyse’s needle rifle. In the 1927 list of permitted firms (i.e. firms the Inter-allied Military Control Commission allowed to supply the post-Versailles German armed forces) listed as the sole supplier of primers for small arms ammunition Dreyse & Collenbusch; on that list D&C was identified as a branch of SKD. My guess is that the replacement of “Dc” with the identifier “SKD” indicates the point the IMKK no longer was regarded as a factor in German military production. Jack