Early Remington .223 headstamps

A couple of more interesting items from the auction assortment:

The cartridge on the left was made by Remington in 1957 for Armalite while that company was developing the M16. This was the first headstamp used by Remington on the .223 cartridge, and was made with a 222 REM bunter that had the REM ground off. The cartridge on the right was the third headstamp used by Remington on its .223 cartridges, beginning in 1959 and continuing until 1963 when it was replaced by the first military format headstamp for this cartridge - R A 63.

Guy

Between those two was the “REM-UMC 222 SPL”. Remington finally realized that all those 222s was confusing and so switched to 223. The first is the least common.

Ray

Ray,
That first one was the one I was missing, so was most pleased to find it. Now I need to keep digging through this stuff and see what else is there - I let my competitive nature get the best of me and ended up bidding more than I originally intended to, so need to find a few more keepers.

Guy

From the looks of all the photos you’ve been posting I’d say you got your moneys worth. And besides, spending your Stimulus check helps the economy. You did spend your Stimulus, didn’t you?

Ray

Ray,
Unfortunately, I’m one of the small minority who has to provide the money for the stimulus checks, so once all the subtracting and adding are done, I don’t really get much stimulus.