Egyptian .303

What is the significance, if any, of the green primer annulus colour on this Egyptian .303"?

Normally indicates an AP round.

That was a quick response! Thank you John. I wonder why no tip colouring though…

Jim is this 1955 and made at Factory No.10 and 7.7 calibre but what is the other part of the headstamp

cheers
Rich

Morning Rich,
If you’re referring to the script at 1 o’clock that means Misr. This symbol was used between 1952 and 1958 and simply meant ‘Egypt’.

Jim,

I recollect most, if not all, Australian AP just had the green annulus and no tip colour. These were in both CN and GM bullet envelopes.

John,
Your point on Australian .303 would also be largely true for the UK although ammunition for export often had the tips coloured. But Egypt, as far as I’m aware, generally used tip colouring. I certainly know of some later .303" AP with dark green tips. It just seems a bit out of character for Egypt to have dropped the tip colour for this round.

How does the bullet react to a magnet?

It’s magnetic…but whether that’s the core or the jacket I wouldn’t like to say.

I have three Egyptian rounds with green p.a. but no tip colour which I assume to be A.P. These effectively follow the British marking scheme. The only tipped round I have is an incendiary with a dark blue tip, similar to a B Mark VII.

I wonder if the green tipped rounds date from when the Egyptians moved to the Eastern Bloc markings and are in fact steel jacketed tracers? Just a thought.

Regards
TonyE

And a logical thought it is too Tony! I was discussing these green tipped rounds with Paul Field at Deepdale and my first thought was that they would be tracer for the reasoning that you’ve suggested. However, I’ve since checked Conjays and they list Egyptian tracers with red tips & armour piercing with dark green tips.

Remember that before Russia gained great influence in Egypt, the major foreign influence there was British. It was, as already said on this thread, the norm for British service ammo types to be identified by primer seal color and headstamp, rather than with a tip color.

Thank you all…armour piercing it is then.

It’s magnetic…but whether that’s the core or the jacket I wouldn’t like to say.[/quote]

Jim,

With a small magnet it is usually possible to tell if the bullet has a steel core or a steel jacket. A steel jacket is magnetic right up to the tip and usually more strongly magnetic than just a core. If only the core is magnetic then the tip can seem to barely attract the magnetic.

However, if it is a steel core inside a steel jacket then you are snookered!

gravelbelly

Edited to correct speeling!

Thanks for explaining that Dave. In light of that I would suggest that this bullet has a steel core as the attraction is noticeably weaker towards the tip although there is still some attraction present.

It helps to have several magnets around with ammunition, weak, medium & strong.

Use the weak magnet for testing for cores & at the tip.

The strong magnet is very useful when checking for things like Hoxie bullets when the steel ball is imbedded in the lead bullet tip or steel /iron anvils in some cases.