EL SOL Headstamp

The following .450 headstamp came to light in 1994 in Argentina. To my knowledge it was the only one known at that time. Another turned up recently in Australia.

I suspect this is European manufacture for export to a Spanish-speaking country (even though one turned up “Down Under”).

Has anyone seen this headstamp on any other caliber? Has anyone seen a box? Does anyone know if the “El Sol” trade mark was registered anywhere?

A knowledgeable collector from Missouri has suggested to me that as an Argentine company was associated with the headstamps “EL CASCO” and “EL CONDOR”, perhaps the same company was associated with the above “EL SOL” headstamp. I do not know the Argentine company to which he refers.

Would any of our Argentine visitors to this site care to comment?

Hi Chris,

This cartridge rarely show up here in Argentina and few specimens are known. I've never seen a box and I don't think it's argentinian.

The "EL CONDOR" and "CONDOR" brands found on headstamps are always of chilean origin.

The "EL CASCO", "CASCO" (only .38 S&W) and the helmet diagram (only found on 9 mm Flobert) are ammunition trade marks of Kirschbaum & Cia, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Thanks Fede,
I had a note that “EL CASCO” was a product of “Armeria Martindo Santiago of Cordova, Argentina”, however, I have found no supporting evidence and I am pleased that you have corrected that. Now if only they had loaded a .450 !! … Chris P.

Hi again Chris,

Armeria Martindo Santiago of C

Hi Fede,
Many thanks for the spelling correction. Regarding “Toro” brand - do you know who made/marketed that brand. … Chris P.

Fede, Thanks for the great information. The EL CONDOR and CONDOR headstamps originate in Chile is very useful to me.

Do you think they were made in Chile or where they made in Europe for a company in Chile?

What calibers are these headstamps found on? I know of 38 Special and 32 ACP. Are there any others?

Contributions like your’s is what makes this Forum so useful.

Lew

Hi Lew,

I don't have a checklist for chilean headstamps but I think this would help you. I can add:

- 6,35 mm Browning headstamped CONDOR  6,35, flat copper primer, CNCS Bullet (made by F

Fede,

Many thanks!!! This is important info that I need to add to Otto’s book on 38 Special. He has this headstamp on 38 Special.

I believe John Moss has this headstamp on a 32ACP cartridge.

Now if only someone knows of it on 9x19mm, or better yet-has two of them and is looking for a good home for one!!!

Cheers,

Lew

A picture is worth a thousand words, here’s a .38 Smith & Wesson. Sorry, Lew, no 9mm Para around here.

Fede,

Any chance to see a picture of 6.35mm Browning? Thanks.

Forammo

[quote=“Fede”]Hi Chris,

This cartridge rarely show up here in Argentina and few specimens are known. I've never seen a box and I don't think it's argentinian.

The "EL CONDOR" and "CONDOR" brands found on headstamps are always of chilean origin.

The "EL CASCO", "CASCO" (only .38 S&W) and the helmet diagram (only found on 9 mm Flobert) are ammunition trade marks of Kirschbaum & Cia, Buenos Aires, Argentina.[/quote]

The EL CASCO headstamp is also used on 12mm shotshells.

Rene