Eley drawings

Because of Peter (enfield) we are lucky to see some Eley drawings.
From the dates corresponding to the drawings numbers we can see these drawings are very late (after 1910)

In the same serie i have for example the numbers 3, 5 and 7 which are dated from 1905.

Here is my question : Has somebody ever seen an Eley drawing dated from before 1905 ??

thanks
jp

J-P: I do not have any Eley drawings dated before 1905, nor can I recall ever seeing any. The two original Eley Proof Department sketchbooks I have date from 1919 onwards, and the few other Eley drawings I have are all WWI vintage.

I have hundreds of early Kynoch drawings and I wonder if the Eley archive was destroyed. AFAIK the Birmingham Proof house only has the Kynoch archive, and had the Eley drawings pased to Kynoch after the merger they would surely have been there.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“TonyE”]J-P: I do not have any Eley drawings dated before 1905, nor can I recall ever seeing any. The two original Eley Proof Department sketchbooks I have date from 1919 onwards, and the few other Eley drawings I have are all WWI vintage.

I have hundreds of early Kynoch drawings and I wonder if the Eley archive was destroyed. AFAIK the Birmingham Proof house only has the Kynoch archive, and had the Eley drawings pased to Kynoch after the merger they would surely have been there.

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

Thanks

1. What you call “early Kynoch drawings” are pre 1905 drawings or after 1905 drawings ???

2. About the dates: In england do you use month, day, year or day, month year ???
    I ask you that because on the drawings shown by peter it is 20/8/10 and on some eley drawings they writte for example 9 september 1910, meaning the other way.

a little bite confusing !

JP

I have quite a few Kynoch drawings dated pre 1905 in both military and commercial calibres.

The normal British way of expressing the date is day, month, year, so in the examples you give the first is 20 August 1910 and the second as you wrote it, 9 September 1910.

Regards
TonyE

[quote=“TonyE”]I have quite a few Kynoch drawings dated pre 1905 in both military and commercial calibres.

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

thanks
are they shotshells drawings ?
jp

[quote=“jeanpierre”][quote=“TonyE”]I have quite a few Kynoch drawings dated pre 1905 in both military and commercial calibres.

Regards
TonyE[/quote]

thanks
are they shotshells drawings ?
jp[/quote]

BTT

Sorry JP, I should have replied earlier.

Unfortunately no, none of the drawings I have are for shotshells.

Regards
TonyE

OK. Thanks !

You confirm what I have thought for a long time.
Pre 1900 Kynoch and Eley drawings (at least about shotshells) are lost.
Nobody seems to have ever seen one.

About the Eley ones the oldest ones are from 1905.
About Kynoch ones it seems to be worse because I have never seen one !

It is incredible. How can this happen ??

JP