Eley headstamps

Does anyone have information on when the various Eley centerfire headstamps, including ELEY, ELEY’S, ELEY BROs, ELEY LONDON, were used?

Not for centerfire headstamps.
Eley as you probably are aware of formed in 1828 by William Eley. It became Eley Brothers Ltd., In 1847. Then merged in 1920 to become Kynoch Nobel’s industries, ltd., Transformed by ICI in 1926. Had a branch in Canada from 1912-1918. Thats all I am aware of.

Joe

Edit: Clarification, I personally do not have information as to when which headstamps were in use. Not to say Eley does not make center-fire, as I have multiple examples myself.

Correction: Eley Brothers Ltd., In 1874

Eley did had centerfire cartridges. there are several displayed on the spanish A.E.C.C website (municion.org/) in the .303 Britisch section

for example this 1890 E B marked one and a 1916 E.16 VII marked one

A good reference for Eley Shotshells and metallic cartridges is Eley Cartridges from C.W.Harding, Quiller Press, 2006.

Eley became a Ltd. in 1874

During the ICI period, Eley was a brand for shotshells and Kynoch was for metallic cartridges

Guy
I have been trying to nail down dates on this for years and when I think I have it, I find calibers with headstamps that blow my whole theory.
In General though it appears that Eley Bros and E B used mainly 1880’s to 1910’s. Eley’s in the 1900’s to 1920. Eley London 1928+, Eley by itself more modern unless made under contract. Again a rough estimate by headstamps I have with boxes…but I am sure the dates are different by caliber. Anyone else have more on this?

Thanks all for sharing your information.

[quote=“m89”]A good reference for Eley Shotshells and metallic cartridges is Eley Cartridges from C.W.Harding, Quiller Press, 2006.

Eley became a Ltd. in 1874

During the ICI period, Eley was a brand for shotshells and Kynoch was for metallic cartridges[/quote]

Yes, 1874 not 1847, I am a bit dyslexic at times.