Eley sporting and Military cartridge board in New Zealand

A club in NZ asked that I post this photo for them. They are seeking info on this board and possible value and perhaps a buyer. Post any replies on the forum and I will make sure they see them. [white rectangle near the top is glare from overhead lights]
Webmaster

Valuable item. Good luck shipping it. possible buyer. Contact me private for referal.

I agree, it is worth a lot of money. It is not my area of knowledge, but my guess would be 1890’s? what do you think J P-C?

For me the most interesting round is what looks like the .4MG (.402 Enfield) in the 2 o’clock position.

Regards
TonyE

Here is what I hope is an “Improved” image of the board.

What is really needed is an improved close up of the top right hand corner. If that is a .4 Enfield - wow !

Ask, and MAYBE you will receive. Is this what you wanted?

This is as much useful magnification as the original allows. I assume this is the cartridge in question.

Looks interesting- more info needed.

That is really a beautifull bullet board. Is a .4 Enfield, a rare bullet?

I have a very similar board, although not exactly the same (I don’t think I have seen two of these boards that were absolutely identical to each other, and I have seen my share of cartridge boards). The cartridge in the upper right of mine appears the same as the one on the board pictured. I am leaving for a few days on personal business in Nevada, but if no one identifies that round by the time I am back, I will try to get my board off the wall and see if I can see a headstamp thru the glass. I have a huge cabinet that I cannot possibly move (it has about 16,000 cartridges in it at the moment) in front of where it is on the wall, so it is not an easy job. I will have to see if I can get my neighbor to help me. I won’t be able to take the board out of the frame, of course, but will do what I can thru the glass). In the interim, I hope one of our British friends can identify it so I don’t have to do this. I don’t have any personal knowledge about the round in question.

John M.

Does it look like the cartridges have been polished in place?
There seem to be large clean areas around the brass cartridges.
Very impressive board, shame it hasnt been cared for a little bit better.
I have a funny feeling this board was put up for auction at a NZCCC auction a year or two ago. I cant remember if it sold or whether it was passed in.

The round in question certainly looks like the tapered 1882 version of the .4. It is known that this round was manufactured by the trade and also the paper patch was entirely within the case. My only concern is that in the photograph the bullet looks lighter than the lead bulleted pistol rounds alongside, almost as though it is CN jacketed. There was no official .4 jacketed bullet, but that is not conclusive, since there was no issue .577/450 jacketed round either but plenty were made by the trade.

And yes, the .402 (or .4MG) is somewhere higher in the list that hens’ teeth and rocking horse…

Regards
TonyE

That cartridge on my board does not have a lead bullet. Tony is correct. It is a CN FMJ RN projectile.

There are several varieties of the .4 ammo all of which are rare birds, rarer than white tigers.

WOW! At least the .4 does not need to eat or have vet bills :-) Both are dangerous when pointing at you. The .4 is also allot easier to put on a display shelf :-)