Empty paper shotshells

I picked up a box that contained used paper shells. Some were the ones that had come from the old Peter’s box, others did not.
I’ve kept all old paper shells, but never had used ones before.
Should I keep them?
I was going to keep them in the Peter’s box, but they are not crimped back right and are bulging the box, so I took them out.

Bomar97–Depending on the age of the box it could be more valuable than the fired shells. As far as keeping the fired shells, unless they are VERY old (before 1900) they probably have no value. Most collectors in the U.S. want loaded cartridges. But, if you are happy with them, then by all means keep them. A collection is what you enjoy, not necessarly the value. Also, if they are hard to get headstamps collectors in Europe and the U.K. might want them as most of those countries do not allow the collecting of loaded rounds.

If you could post a photo or scan of the box, we could better help you to determine the value.

I don’t think the empty shotshells are really rare or anything. Just wasn’t sure what anybody did with them… I can throw plastic away, but haven’t thrown paper away yet…

These are the 3 different types of empties I got… I get seem to get a better shot of the headstamps… blurs on me if I get closer, even when the camera is set for close-ups.

Am I posting pics ok? I sometimes come up with big pics and other times they are smaller… I’m just downloading pics straight to photobucket… should I make them smaller first? Thanks.

Bomar97–The box is from about 1947-1953. It is a nice box in nice condition. Not worth a lot but I would keep it along with a couple of the empties in it to document what it contained.

Just a suggestion, but if you have a scanner it might work better than the camera.

[quote=“Ron Merchant”]Bomar97–The box is from about 1947-1953. It is a nice box in nice condition. Not worth a lot but I would keep it along with a couple of the empties in it to document what it contained.

Just a suggestion, but if you have a scanner it might work better than the camera.[/quote]

I agree that a scanner can produce brilliant results on headstamps. If you have only a digital camera you can also produce good close-ups by using a seperate lens such as a hand held “magnifying glass” or any lens recovered from an old projector. Clamp the “external” lens firmly and take the photo of the headstamp through this extra lens. Providing the external lens is clean and not too scratched the camera will focus on the object. It is simple to do and well worth a try.

gravelbelly

Thanks for the info… I do have a scanner and will try that in the future.