Enfield Musket.410 Ball Cartridge,POF 1960 powder question

I took apart an Enfield Musket .410 Ball round made by POF in 1960 and would like to know about the powder they used.
The charge is 14 grains. Each grain looks to be a flattened Ball Powder and is light gray in color and has a low density… The burn rate in the open air is instantaneous. I do not have any information on the Indian ammunition loading’s.
Any info would be appreciated.
I have a close up photo of the powder if needed.

.410 Ball Pakistani Sealed case

Here’s the headstamp of your cartridge, I think. The IZ means it’s a Mark I, nitrocellulose powder.

The drawings I have all say 14.5 grains of cordite but it does look chopped up cordite not ribbon cordite

Rich

how do you post photos here?

Look here for examples on how to post photos: Ammunition Art

Brian

There is an “upload” sign looking like this right above the text part when you write.

By the 1960s, Both Pakistan and India had switched to Olin Ball Powder and other types of Tubular Powders, away from Cordite, although the 1960s POF .303 was still Cordite Loaded, as was the 1971 K^F .303 .( Machinery was still available)

IN any case, the Musket .410 Mark Iz (Z= Nitrocellulose), would have had a shotgun type Powder, which in Olin type, would be flattened Ball.

DocAV

Thank you Dr.AV that is very helpful.
I’m sorry I do not have any graph paper for powder grain size. The grains are larger than WW296 and thicker than WW680 which I have on hand.

The powder almost looks like WW452AA?

It is very difficult to “classify” a Powder by its appearance alone. And in any case, the Powder supplied to POF by OLIN would have been “Bulk” Powders, not “Canistered”…It is obviously a “Ball” type Powder, most probably double based, and either made directly by Olin Industries or on similar equipment using Olin’s Patents.
Of course, POF may have ordered a Bulk ( Tons) Lot of this Powder from Olin, with the Burning characteristics of WW452…but it would NOT be “canistered” 452…Hence the Difficulty of assigning a "Canister’ Number to Powder from Military ammo.
Canistered Powder maintains its Burning characteristics over years of Production ( by careful Blending and Manufacture)
Whilst Bulk Powders for Factory Loading are Made to meet the required specs, and may vary a little from Lot to Lot over a period of time.

No wonder Powder Manufacture is a “Black Art”

Doc AV

Ball size help. Can someone help me by telling me the diameter of the lead ball?
Thanks
Alex

Apparently the diameter is 0.405" or 1.0287cm.

In addition to Jim’s reply, a drawing from Ammunition Pamphlets (India) Jan. 1945