European law leads to new writings on ammo boxes

The european law 1272/2008 forces ammo makers to report a large amount of warnings on ammo, primers and primed cases boxes.

This law entered into force on June 1st 2015 in Italy, and this is an example of the new Fiocchi boxes

armietiro.it/nuove-scritte-s … -armi-6626

Obviously this is an European law, so any ammo box produced in the EU must have these warnings. I suspect that ammo boxes produced outside EU must have these writings too, to be legally sold in the EU nations (maybe a simple label should work )

Can’t wait for the EU to crumble.

• Norwegian citizen disappointed with how two referendums saying no weren’t enough to keep us out and still makes us obey their every law without any benefits.

You were lucky: you had at least two referendums… no one had never asked italian citizens if they wanted to be in or out

Anyway, some european gun laws are much better than italian gun laws so we received some benefit

As far as I understood, firearms laws were one of the few areas of law that EU member states were allowed to retain full control over. I may be wrong here. The UK has much stricter gun laws than many other EU states.

There was a case of an Austrian citizen bringing a legally owned semi-auto Steyr AUG and Beretta pistol to the UK for a “close protection” course. He had applied for the correct European firearms pass and was assured that he had followed the correct procedures. However, he was arrested and the UK police confiscated the guns and refused to return them to him.

Here is the article if anyone is interested. Apologies for the typical anti-gun bias.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11243523/Border-security-failure-exposed-by-passengers-gun-arsenal.html

Pretty soon they will have to make the entire rear of the box a peel-off multi-layer booklet to fit all of their “warnings” as is the case with many medication packages, which understandably have more relevant concerns. You watch, they’ll find a way - like forcing the manufacturer to list “all of the guns which the ammunition could be loaded into” … imagine the length!

From the layout of the text and the GHS01 explosives symbol, I think it is about materiel safety (Don’t eat propellant. Don’t rub propellant into your eyes. Propellant burns if you expose it to fire. etc. etc.), not gun laws as such.

with all that stuff on the label I’m surprised it doesn’t say which end goes into the chamber first, & which end not to hit with a rock, because they must think your really dumb that all that (whatever that is) needs said on a box of ammo.

What ever happened to “keep out of the reach of children”?

Does it mention not to eat ammo or insert it into any body openings?

I guess next will be “do not use ammunition - it could kill somebody”.

I’ll receive one of these new boxes in the next days…a picture of the warnings will be posted…

I think it could well be considered as a “gun law” since it is about explosives control (powder, ammo, primers).

Today I picked up new Lapua rifle cartridges for shooting.

The boxes have a small (72 mm wide, 40 mm high) 6 page booklet pasted to the back side.
It says: "WARNING - H204: Fire or projection hazard. P210: Keep away from heat/sparks/open flames/hot surfaces. - No smoking"
in no less than 24 (yes, twenty-four) languages!!!
Also it shows the GHS01 explosive symbol, the CIP ammunition seal of the Suhl proof house, and the address of the importer (Nammo Schönebeck GmbH).

In another life, I am a serious competitive rifle shooter, mostly with .22 rimfires. Most competitors use European cartridges because the QC of US manufacturers is almost nil. Most of us purchase one or two cases (5,000 rounds each, 100 boxes of 50 per case) annually. With increasing restrictions on Internet sales, just last Tuesday a group of us discussed making a very large combined purchase. Each of us has individual problems with the storage and shelf life of ammunition. We track lot numbers and exchange manufacturers codes frequently, always trying to identify the oldest stuff and shoot that up in practice or for sighting and saving the best and freshest for matches.

Looking on the bright side, the new labels provide us with a positive indicator of age or freshness, at least for a year or two.

With my virtual tongue firmly in my virtual cheek, I ask will the new boxes become collectors items? Soon we will have hundreds or thousands of empty boxes and a like number of booklets. Will there be collectors of only the booklets in all their variations? The appearance of child warning messages increased the collector value of pre-warning boxes. Will the new law increase the value of boxes having only child warnings?

Those of us in the US could dispose of the booklets by placing them in the pre-paid business reply envelopes that continually appear in our snail-mailboxes and dropping said envelopes in the nearest mailbox. My office mate already gets rid of her junk mail in that manner.