Evansville Cal .45

I borrowed (stole) this from another forum. A photo of the ultra rare Evansville Ordnance Plant steel cased Cal .45 ammunition.

Come on Ray; don’t do that. You know that a few collectors who aren’t into .45 ACP will believe you when you describe these as “super rare.” If there’s a .45 cartridge more common than WW II EC or ECS steel case rounds, I don’t know what it is. Still, a nice pic.

I gotta get a copy of this to Jim Young! He had 2 boxes on my table for $30 each and we brought em home! I told him they were common as hen eggs but he still thinks Draper’s are $75 minimum, so there you have it. (That’s why he’s still got his and John Kuntz is 1 short!)

Mel

You’re right. I’ll admit that the “rare” part of my post was in jest. I should have added ;-) ;-)

And yet, the forum where I found this photo had a guy trying to sell some loose cartridges @ $2.50 each! He was advised accordingly.

Ray

Great photo! Too bad there are no 9xq9mm in it!
Lew

It was sometime in the last year when I saw one of the internet dealers was selling EC .45 in unopened case lots, I think it came out to be about $20/box. I’ve seen guys at gun shows marking it at $100/box (no takers). Last time I bought any quantity of EC .45 was about 2000, and I paid $100 for 25 boxes. I kept a couple of sealed boxes (lid flap glued to the front), and shot up the rest.

Wasn’t that same picture in “Bullets by the Billion?”

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some wing nuts, correct like those used on these wooden cases? I have several complete wood cases, but without the nuts.

[quote=“DennisK”]It was sometime in the last year when I saw one of the internet dealers was selling EC .45 in unopened case lots, I think it came out to be about $20/box. I’ve seen guys at gun shows marking it at $100/box (no takers). Last time I bought any quantity of EC .45 was about 2000, and I paid $100 for 25 boxes. I kept a couple of sealed boxes (lid flap glued to the front), and shot up the rest.

Wasn’t that same picture in “Bullets by the Billion?”

By the way, does anyone know where I can get some wing nuts, correct like those used on these wooden cases? I have several complete wood cases, but without the nuts.[/quote]

Yea, the CMP burn pile out back. They have burned up oodles of ammo crates over time. If you call them they might have a some wing nuts they would sent you. I have given away more of these crates than I can remember.

Addition: I just went out in th shed and checked. I have 5 nice spare pressed metal wing nuts off of 384Rd CAL .30 wood ammo boxes. 1/4"-20 TPI. Send me an email xjda68@hotmail.com

Nice picture. Just curious - how does one know from this picture that the ammunition is in steel cases. I can’t read the print on the front of the boxes and on the ends the lot numbers do not seem to contain a letter “S.” EC and ECS made plenty of brass cases too. Again, just wondered. It is probably plainly in the picture and I am just not seeing it.

I looked in the book “Bullets by the Billion” on page 47 where there is an identical photograph and I see no “s”.

Where would the “S” be? Would it be in the little box, after E.C., where the lot numbers are?

Shotmeister - I don’t know where the “S” would be, and in fact, don’t even know if the wood crates should or should not have the “S.” That was part of the question, although poorly phrased because the way I said it made it sound like I know they should have an “S” in the lot number if steel case.

The 50 round cardboard boxes inside those cases, if with steel-cased ammunition, would have an “S” before or after the lot number (usually before). Frankford Arsenal did the same thing.

One box I have has a lot number ending in “XC” with no “S” anywhere even though it contained steel-cased ammo.

Interestingly, if not a bit distressing, I found that in my collection, even though brass-case EC ammo is not rare (scarcer than the steel-case, but not rare) I don’t have a single box for EC brass-case ball ammunition. I simply never realized that before. Amazing that you can have a collection for years - I haven’t added an EC box in 20 years - and never notice something that isn’t there.

And some of the 50 round boxes containing steel-cased EC .45 are ink-stamped Steel Case, and some are not.