EXcaliber Wax Inc-9x19mm

Back in the late 1960 or so, there was a small company in Ohio that was making reloadable cases modified to use a shotshell primer and wax bullets. I was digging through my storeroom looking for something and found a pack I bought about 40 years ago.

I know they made quite a few different calibers. I suspect some of you have seen the modified cases or the loaded rounds in various calibers. I don’t know if he used other color wax then blue.

I suspect that others have done similar rounds. If you know of others, please post.

Cheers,
Lew

.45 Colt shells that take a #209 primer and fire a wax slug are very common in quick draw competition.

209%2045%20colt

Any idea who makes them???

Lew

As far as I can tell the Cowboy Fast Draw Association is the only place you can buy the shells:

Link to web store

However, a lot of clubs will make their own. They’re Kinda neat because they need no tools to reload.

Are these intended to be fired at another person or a target during fast-draw competitons?

I would think that the potential for a full power metal bulleted round being accidentally loaded would be too great if used in a duel type scenario.

Fast draw is always against a target, NOT for use in duels. A lot of participants actually use a “skid plate” underneath their holster in the event of an early discharge upon drawing.

Here’s a link to typical equipment:
Link

Lew, this company started making bullets in late 1981, when it was located in Bensenville, Illinois. In 1984, they established their company in Ohio (EXcaliber Wax, Inc.). Below you can see a picture of a box (they also supplied reamed cases):

@Strelok
Those are .38 Special reamed cases with wax bullets made by Spitfire Wax Bullets in Vista, California.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like