Exception to the Rule: Primer Indicates Federal or Speer

1. At least in the case of Federal-made SPEER/CCI/I/BLAZER-headstamped cases, the primer seated in them indicates the production line they came off of. Those headstamped cases with Federal primers (a) came off a Federal production line and were packed in a Federal tray/Federal-sized box in Speer or CCI or Independence or Blazer color scheme, and got a Federal lot number. Those headstamped cases with a CCI primer (b) came off a Speer production line and were packed in a Speer tray/Speer-sized box in Speer or CCI or Independence or Blazer color scheme, and got a Speer lot number.
  2. I first noticed Federal-made SPEER-headstamped 38 Special cases with CCI primers packed in a Speer tray/Speer-sized box in Independence color scheme (Does anyone else find that amusing?) with Speer lot number K22P3=22 Oct 2008. I also have a Speer-sized 40 S&W box in Independence color scheme/Speer tray with Fed-made I-headstamped cases with CCI primers, lot number M28N6=28 Dec 2007. Obviously those boxes rolled off a Speer production line.
  3. I also have Federal-sized 9mm Luger boxes/trays in (1) Independence color scheme (lot 3.43R599=199th day of 2006) and (2) Blazer color scheme color scheme (lot P22Z439=39th day of 2009) with Federal-made I and BLAZER-headstamped cases, respectively, both primed with Federal primers. Obviously those rolled off a Federal production line.
  4. I’ve also started seeing Fed-made SPEER, I, and BLAZER-headstamped 9mm cases with CCI primers, but hadn’t associated them with a particular box.
  5. Because of this evidence, I think its obvious and logical that in the case of Fed-made SPEER (etc)-headstamped cases the primer indicates which production line they rolled off of.
    a. Federal No. 100 small pistol primers, thru at least lot 37V673=273rd day of 2007, are nickel-plated, have a larger flat area and appear duller than their CCI counterpart.
    b. CCI No. 500 small pistol primers, thru at least lot J19M=19 Sep 2006, also are nickel-plated but are far smoother and shinier overall than their Federal counterparts, have a smaller flat area giving a relatively bubble-like appearance when seated, and don’t flatten on firing.