Exotic Russian Machine Gun Belts

Hello gentlemen,
Recently I have bought some various belts from machine guns. I suggest you to name the weapon which using of these original belts.

1 = 5.45x39

2 = 7.62x54R and 6x49

3 = 7.62x54R

Yes, you are right. These are fragments of prototypes of belts for Russian machine guns in calibre 7.62х54R. And fragments of prototypes of belts for prototypes of Russian machine guns in calibre 5.45х39 and 6х49

Arggg ! I am having a heart attack !

JFL

Machanik, Could you provide the identification of the weapons for each belt and the caliber associated with each belt. This is great information for the belt/link collectors and would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your photos.

Cheers,

Lew

I like Russian 7,62x54R experimental belts for MG PK:

with steel links

with separated plastic links
i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll47 … lastic.jpg

Also in 7,62x54R was developed some belts for stright feeding MG’s designed by

Berezin

Nikitin

and for experimental SP-74 MG (I don’t know the name of the designer):

As a clone of 7,62x54R cartridge, we can have a look at 4,5/10x54R “Strelka” cartridge designed by Dworjaninow and the piece of steel belt for this cartridge:

And, as addition to the beautifull Mechanik’s pictures, I can add the view of starter tab for metallic belt cal. 6x49

Very interesting to me, thank you!

Treshkin, I don’t know almost nothing about 6x49 experimental cartridge, only knowing its existence. Is this case yours? Is there any headstamps on it? Can you post or P.M. me little more info about that matter, if you, of course have it and don’t mind?

Cheers,
Ivo

Treshkin,

please post public, thank you!

[quote=“Lew”]Machanik, Could you provide the identification of the weapons for each belt and the caliber associated with each belt. This is great information for the belt/link collectors and would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your photos.

Cheers,

Lew[/quote]
Lew ,I’ve asked my friend to make a pdf-file with a photo of machine guns which used the given experimental belts.
Here it is - http://www.sendspace.com/file/0mu9y9

With best regards,Mechanik

The case in my piece of 6x49 belt has no headstmap. I have never see headstamp on this experimental Russian caliber.

The cartridge 6x49 was developed in USSR in the end of 1980-th at TsNIITOChMASh by Dvorjaninow for weapons system which include MG and automatic rifle. From 1994 Russia advertise this cartridge and weapons in this caliber at the International exhibitions, but in 1997 Russia stop to offer 6x49 cartridge.
Some sniper rifles was developed in this caliber - SVK, SVKS and TKB-0145K
Some data of the cartridge:
Length - 70,5 mm
Weight - 21,5 grams
Weight of the bullet - 5 grams
Vo - 1150 meters per seconds

Treshkin, thank you very much for the info and especially for dating. Now this reminds me that once I had readed your article on 7,62x54R - “Наш трехлинейный” (I can’t remember the name of the magazine, which published it) and in that reading there was a mention about that cartridge, but not so detailed, that you have posted. Do you have any pictures of that cartridge? I’ll be very pleased to collect some pics…

Take care and have fun!

Ivo

[quote=“Iv4o”]Treshkin, thank you very much for the info and especially for dating. Now this reminds me that once I had readed your article on 7,62x54R - “Наш трехлинейный” (I can’t remember the name of the magazine, which published it) and in that reading there was a mention about that cartridge, but not so detailed, that you have posted. Do you have any pictures of that cartridge? I’ll be very pleased to collect some pics…

Take care and have fun!

Ivo[/quote]

The article was published in Ukrainian magazine Охота&Оружие (Hunting and weapons).

For a pitty, I don’t have a lot of specimens of this caliber in my own collection, only Dummy round, fired case, sulfuric casts for measuring errosion of the chamber and a piece of experimental barrel, cutted for checking errosion.

Treshkin, thank you very, very much for these pictures!! I google up 6x49 but find almost nothing. Besides, I wish to say that the abovementioned article is one of the most comprehensive on that matter (7,62x54R), that I’ve ever read! Excellent job!

That poor piece of barrel seem to had have a lot of ammo through it, judging upon its color!

Gentlemen, sorry for being off-topic!

Ivo

Thank you, Iv4o

I’ll join the discussion

1. Image of the 6x49 dummy from my collection:

2. image of the prototype 6x49 GPMG developed by TSNII TochMash

Thank you, guys!

Ivo