Experimental German .228 cartridges

Here are two more “funnies” from Dad’s collection:

from left to right:
5,6x61 vH SE, headstamp: vom Hofe 5.6mm SUP.EXPR. (this is just for comparison, but stands a bit in the front, so it may appear too big)

5,6x57 but with headstamp: RWS 6,5x57, and with a .228 bullet, like the 5,6x61 vH SE! I measure 5.77 mm for both.
The standard 5,6x57 has a .224 bullet and the typical thick case mouth.
Dad noted “EXPER.”

5,6x52R, headstamp: RWS 5,6x52R (or .22 Savage, for comparison)

“5,6x52 rimless”, headstamp: LDWML 5,6x52R (only partly visible, the outer part of the hs is milled off)
Labelled "EXPERIMENT"
I can measure bullet diameter of 5,71 mm which is neither .224 or .228.
But I think I am still measuring the ogive part, the bullet might be a bit thicker towards the bottom.

For comparison, a 4.6 gram / 70 grain RWS .228 bullet for the 5.6x52R, made in the 1970s

fuhrmann

First 5.6 x 57 prototypes were made from 6.5 x 57 cases, and RWS 6,5 x 57 hds is reported on some of these samples.
These have logner necks than standard 5.6 x 57 ammunition

Fuhrmann, the 5.6x57 is a pre-WWII development atributed to Adam Schork/Schurk and the 5.6x52 is a rimless variaton of the .22 Savage High Power that was assigned with DWM case no. 545A and previously reported with DWM K 5,6 x 52 K headstamp. Brad will surely post more detailed information about these.

Thanks! I am pleased to hear that such prototypes are already known.

So both cartridges were pre-WWII developments, but probably not introduced to the market.
The 5.6x57 (also the rimmed version) came out in the 1960s or 70s, but had the bullet diameter changed to .224, plus the funny thick neck.

Is there information available on how to put a date to the various kinds of DWM and RWS headstamps?

Regards,
fuhrmann

Fede - interesting about Adam Schurk. I had in my 7.9 x 57 collection a 4 mm Übungspatrone-caliber all-steel, sub-caliber adaptor (auxillary) cartridge, with rifled bore, marked only “Schurk” around the circumfrence of the neck of the “cartridge.”

Fuhrmann, the 5.6x57 case was made with thick neck walls because it was designed to be compatible with two different adaptors for .22 WMR and .22 Hornet cartridges. These were of the type using an intermediary firing pin and with the case mouth of the .22 caliber cartridge placed flush with the neck of the adaptor (to conform with the standard total lenght). For this reason, the increased neck diameter was needed to allow the wider diameter of the case/neck of these two cartridges (c. 6 mm), which in these adaptors was purposely made with thinner walls than the regular cartridge.