Explanation and Apology

My initial reason for deciding to end participation in the IAA Forum, badly worded, was that I felt that my inability to let certain things pass was causing me to become part of the problem. While I care nothing about perceived insults to myself, as I unfortunately have many traits worthy of disrespect, I found it very difficult not to answer comments I felt were insulting to the fine men who, thru their volunteer efforts, give us this wonderful venue for discussion of our hobby. In answering acrimonious entries with further acrimony of my own, I realized two things - again, that I was becoming part of the problem, and that because of my own traits, I was not able to simply ignore them.

Well, the volunteers who set up and manage this forum - John S. Teak C., Ron M. and Chris B. do not need a defense for their fine efforts in trying to maintain the level of professionalism set by the majority of the people who use this forum for its intended purpose - the discussion of ammunition.

In retrospect, I know that my own poor decision to leave the forum was a greater insult to their efforts than any made before, unintentionally intimating that their fine work, and the the fine spot-on participation of most of the users of this Forum, were somehow unworthy of my own participation. That was not my intention, but good intentions sometime go astray, especially when a somewhat ill-tempered old man like myself engages his mouth before engaging his brain. I owe them and most of the participants in this Forum, and sincerely offer, my apologies for this slight. I will mention that with one exception, I have received no email regarding this incident reflecting anything but concern for my exit from the Forum, and a request that I reconsider. The friendship, camaraderie, and concern evidenced in these dozen or so emails, two from people that I did not even know, touched me deeply, and made me rethink what I had done.

I am resolved that to avoid further embarrassment to myself and a furthering of acrimony on this Forum, I will simply neither read nor answer any entry that I feel may degenerate into a verbal slugfest, again with the understanding that by doing so, I make myself part of the problem.

I also will try to resist the temptation to wander off into reminiscence of good times past, and stay on the subject of ammunition. I suppose that is one of the problems of advancing age.

I do intend to diminsh my participation in the Forum for a couple of weeks, simply oto try to catch up on my own work, which I have let slide badly.

Again, my sincerest apologies for what I realize, in retrspect, was childish behavior disrespectful on my part to the men who so ably run this Forum, and to the majority of the participants, and thank you for all the good advice and encouragment I received. While I doubt that I can, I will try to make myself worthy of it on this Forum.

BIG MAN WALKING.

Glad you are staying John, we need your input and knowledge. Also, don’t be too hard on yourself, you are not the only one that feels as you do.

As for reminiscing about the golden days of yore, did I tell you about the time I …

Regards
TonyE

John–Welcome back!!! We will all be the richer for your return. Your thoughtful, well thought out and in depth replies can only benifit the hobby as a whole. Thank you for returning.

Glad you reconsidered. Done. End of story.
Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

• John Moss is a very good person with a fantastic knowledge about ammo and cartridge collecting. We’re all here to share information and learn from each other. Sometimes people do have different opinions, this is quite normal I would say, if all we say “Yes” this forum could not exist. John, I’m very glad you’re back on this interesting and unique forum. Liviu 04/29/07

Stoked your not going any where! I have learned so much from everyone in this forum. It is a great place to exchange information. Until I joined and met you all, I always thought I was the only nut collecting this stuff. John and so many others have shared some incredible information and years of collecting insight and I am grateful. Fired-up you are not cruising :-)

APFSDS, you’re among a realtively large group of nuts! Enjoy!
Think about coming north for one or both of out PA cartridge shows.

I would like to thank John Moss for raising the level of discourse on this forum.

For those of you worldwide who do not know him; he is a long time public servant in the cartridge world who has been an active officer of the IAA for many years. He is a prolific researcher and writer and knows more about auto pistol ammo than anyone needs to.

I first met John when he ran the San Francisco Gun Exchange. This was 1978 and he was already a legendary figure in the collecting of pistol ammo.

His numerous submissions to this forum make it clear that his knowledge extends far beyond the handgun.

Those of us who care about this universe of ammunition often feel a responsibility to comment and it is difficult to NOT comment even when silence would be better.

The fellows who run this show do a good job which we all appreciate. Not letting personal and/or political pyromania debase the value of their work is an ego sacrifice which we ALL need to make.

I enjoy hearing the stories of collecting and collectors gone by. We are all going that way and it is the only tribute which we can make to fellows well met who otherwise will fade into oblivion. For them and for us we need to remember and share the past.

THANK YOU JOHN - keep up the good work.

PS I was right.

It’s nice knowing that I’m not only not alone, but also a novice in compairision to the knowlege & experiences of many of you guys. I am looking foprward to hopefully being able to see my 1st show next year and meeting everyone in person. I’m also dying to see one of Pepper’s displays. Maybe I’ll set up the 1st torpedo display :-) Anyhow, I’m just happy John is not going anywhere and will continue sharing his wealth of knowlege with everyone. So many of the subjects discussed here are so facinating and historic. Learning gobs everyday!

Thanks for reconsidering John. I enjoy your comments, appreciate your help, and look forward to your future contribution.

Besides, I will be taking a trip to Crawfordville, FL tomorrow to barter for a nearly full (13 out of 15 boxes) crate of 1945 7.92 ammo with that odd 3 character headstamp that we discussed on the old forum back around the first of December (I think). Being a neophyte with this caliber, though I am armed with a new copy of German 7.9MM by Kent, I am sure I’ll need some help figuring out just what I have.

With the new site we all have some growing pains, This was just a real world experience that shows the importance of a good moderator. Thanks to every one involved. Vic

Guy, be sure to get some pics of the box and crate labels and markings.

Dear John, didn’t know you had (temporarily) left…
I get that way sometimes too, but as the old school Latin saying goes, NIL ILLEGITIMUM CARBORUNDUM.

Anyway, always glad to have you dispute my “over the top” statements and correct my many indiscretions, especially in areas where I should not tred.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

John;
Did not know you had left, but GLAD your back, your KNOWLEDGE built up over a lifetime of study would be irreplaceable and sadly missed by myself in particular and all other participants of the IAA in general.
Terry.

John,

Only a few words from Germany… Thank you for staying with us.

Dutch