F A 21-R 30-06 'tin can'

Can anyone give me an idea what a F A 21-R ‘tin can’ 30-06 might be worth. I was hoping to upgrade the one in my collection and have run across three stripper clips of these.

Guy

The Cartridge Collector’s Exchange sells them for .50 cents each.

Only kidding, that’s you. :) :)

I would probably pay $2 to $5 per cartridge depending on the condition. Plus another $1 to $2 for the clip if they are the old brass ones.

Just my guess. Some collectors would probably balk at spending that much for a 30-06 but the tin-can cartridges with a good condition bullet and no neck splits should bring a premium, IMHO.

Ray

The bullets are beautiful, though a couple of the cases show some corrosion damage; he’s assures me its only bad on two of them.

This is probably something I should know, what is a “Tin-can” .30-06?

Tin can refers to the flat based tinned bullet. These were made for the 1921 National Match, but it was found that a reaction between the brass case and the tinned bullet held the bullets tighter in the cases and resulted in higher pressures.

Thanks, that explains it, I knew it was probably something to do with the bullets from the picture. What sort of variations in pressure did this cause?

Not being to keen on ballistics (I collect these things, I don’t shoot them), I don’t pay much attention chamber pressures, muzzle velocities, and other such stuff. However, there is a very good article by Dick Culver on bore fouling and efforts to solve the problem that discusses the 1921 tin can .30-06 cartridge. You’ll find it at this address:

http://www.odcmp.org/1101/can.pdf

Even today, 86 years after the tin can ammo made it’s appearance, there is still a minor controversy surrounding it. I don’t believe it has ever been established positively whether the tinned bullet itself, the use of gease on the bullet, or a combination of the two, resulted in the problems encountered, including a few destroyed rifles. The Army, in it’s infinite wisdom, decided to play it safe and banned the further use of the cartridges. All unfired cartridges remaining on hand were scrapped (or so it says here) which gives the surviving specimens a premium value, as I said previously.

Ray

Even with a cracked neck and no case mouth crimp the bullet of my round can’t be pulled with the fingers, therefore the cold-soldering effect seems real to me. Adding mobilubricant sloppily to the bullet will reduce case grip on the walls of the chamber and increase backthrust, so I’d think the possibility of fireworks was a real threat. JG