F a 49 cartridge cal. .30 ( primer t53 ) primed cases

F A 49 CARTRIDGE CAL. .30 ( PRIMER T53 ) PRIMED CASES

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS LINK TO VIEW THREE ( 3 ) DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS OF THESE PRIMED CASES:
community.webshots.com/album/574966959zXXzYF

I’ve had these sixty (60) March 1949 Frankford Arsenal caliber .30 (.30-06) “T53” primed cartridge cases for more than forty (40) years, but I’ve never been able to find out any definitive information about their “T53” primers. I know that Frankford Arsenal experimented with various non-corrosive primer mixtures sometime after World War II, and I believe that Frankford Arsenal standardized a non-corrosive lead styphnate primer mixture for all of its standard military caliber .30 (.30-06) ammunition sometime during August of 1949.

I also know that sometime during 1949, Frankford Arsenal experimented with a non-corrosive primer mixture consisting of barium nitrate and red phosphorous. Additionally, I know that the copper cups of those primers were zinc plated, and that when those primers were used in caliber .30 (.30-06) ammunition, a plastic disc that was placed between each primer’s anvil and the bottom of each cartridge case’s primer pocket, covering each primer pocket’s flash hole.

The “T53” primers in these March 1949 Frankford Arsenal caliber .30 (.30-06) cartridge cases ARE NOT crimped, they DO HAVE the standard military red lacquer sealer, their cups DO APPEAR to be zinc plated, and they DO NOT APPEAR to have any plastic discs between their anvils and the bottoms of their cases’ primer pockets and covering their primer pockets’ flash holes. So, are the “T53” primers in these March 1949 Frankford Arsenal caliber .30 (.30-06) cartridge cases non-corrosive and made with a lead styphnate mixture?

Thanks in advance for your answer(s).

Ralph Van Buren (45B4095B40)

Ralph

Your post was of interest to me because I have a 5-rnd clip of M1909 blanks with primers very similar to your T53 type. I had them labeled as P4 primers so I did a little research. HWS Vol II states “During June 1945 the Cal. .30 Frankfort Arsenal P4 FAT1 primer was assigned the nomenclature Primer, Non-Corrosive, Cal. .30, T53…” It also goes on to say that limited procurement of the primer be extended into the post-war period.

HERE ARE THE THREE ( 3 ) DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS :

Phil,

Thanks very much for your information about the “T53” primer. Can you tell me why none of the primers in my sixty (60) primed cartridge cases are crimped? And would you have any idea why Frankford Arsenal would produce and distribute just primed cartridge cases instead of some type of loaded ammunition?

Thanks again,

Sergeant, United States Army, 1970-1973
Small Arms Repairman (45B40)
Military Policeman (95B40)

Ralph

Primed cases without a crimp are commonly found in full boxes. They were used for a variety of tests, calibrations, references, pre-production samples, etc. where a crimp was not necessarily needed or desired.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks very much for explaining why none of the primers in my sixty (60) primed cartridge cases are crimped and why they are still in their original sealed boxes. [I have the opened box for the twenty (20) loose primed cartridge cases.]

IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO’S INTERESTED IN ANY/ALL OF THESE SIXTY (60) F A 49 CARTRIDGE CAL. .30 (PRIMER T53) PRIMED CASES? I’D GLADLY SELL THEM FOR NO MORE THAN TEN DOLLARS ($10.00) PER BOX OF TWENTY (20) PRIMED CARTRIDGE CASES.

Sergeant, United States Army, 1970-1973
Small Arms Repairman (45B40)
Military Policeman (95B40)