F A 80 Cartridge Identification - hopefully with a story

I would love to think this cartridge has a story - I suspect not.
I am privileged to live a house in the UK where unfortunately two young men raised in the house lost their lives in The Great War.
The first was the first pilot killed in action in a Sopwith Camel ( Eric Busby ). His elder brother was killed later in 1918 as a test pilot for the rather large Handley Page V1500 bomber ( Vernon Busby ) having previously been wounded in the first week of the war as a despatch rider.
We are building an extension and the attached rimless 11.5mm diameter rim, 62.5mm long cartridge was found in the spoil. Maybe it is from 1980 but I would love to think it has more history! I’m prepared to be disappointed but wondered if someone could help. The confounding factor is the in 1900 or so there was a rifle range 200 yards or so away.

tjmmartin, it appears to be “FA 30” making it a 1930 made .30-06 (7.62x63). The manufacturer is Frankford Arsenal (USA).

Also (to my limited knowledge) FA was not making small arms ammo in 1980 anymore.

Thank you so much for a very quick reply!

Just for the record, Frankford Arsenal was closed by the military in 1977, with the land, etc. destined for re-purposing for civilian activities.

The last CO was Col. Frank Hackley, still with us and part of our cartridge collecting fraternity. He is a member of IAA and is one of the three author’s of the three volume set "History of U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, an amazing work shared by our departed members William H. Woodin and Eugene Scranton.

John Moss

1 Like

It’s my understanding that a good deal of older production .30 caliber U.S. military ammunition was supplied to Britain during WW.2 and this might well be associated with the British army or the home guard in those years. So it may very well have a connection to the locality in which you found it. Jack

1 Like