F.N. 28ga. shot shells #8 shot

I just bought 5 boxes of 2Pc 28 ga. F.N. shotshells has anyone ever seen these or know their worth! Thanks!

I’ve never encountered these but 28 ga and 2-piece boxes are interesting. Pictures to share would be most welcome.

As to value, its what the market will bare, I would think. At auction they sometimes get really crazy. Of course condition and authenticity are big factors.

Pictures added above…

The way I read that box, it says these are “All Metal”? What are the cases made of?

I’m no authority on European stuff but I’m certain some of the folks from over there will know more about these. They are indeed interesting and thanks for putting up the pictures.

Hello Shotmiester,
the hulls are aluminum. and we took pics of the winchester shells but didn’t have the rite cord to download them they will be coming tomorrow.

thanks screwgy

One hell of a good looking box!!! Love that glitter.

That IS an interesting box. Note it is bright, like aluminum, and contains aluminum shells. I don’t know about Europe but here aluminum shotshells are not common. Several companies have made them but they never were commercially popular. A box of these would look good in ANY collection and once the questions are answered they would make good material for the Journal.

Now, where did Winchester come into this topic? Haven’t heard anything about Winchester shells until your last post. Can’t wait for the new pictures!

Please no Winchester ammo,

The last cartridges were on offer here, did not fit in my shotgun.

[quote=“Shotmeister”]That IS an interesting box. Note it is bright, like aluminum, and contains aluminum shells. I don’t know about Europe but here aluminum shotshells are not common. Several companies have made them but they never were commercially popular. A box of these would look good in ANY collection and once the questions are answered they would make good material for the Journal.

[/quote]

Some info

1. such a FN box is common in europe (either in 28 gauge either in other gauges)
  2. These ctges are not in aluminium but in zinc
  3. furthermore they are not all metal but are PLZ.
    You know what is a PLB shotshell : brass case with a paper liner inside (going out of the case whan unloaded)
    same for PLZ : paper lined zinc
    The paper can be of different colors
  4. You can find ctges from FN with the same designation (all metal) (and same box) which are really all metal (no paper liner inside)
    They are not rolled crimped as the ones shown but star crimped

JP

[quote]3) furthermore they are not all metal but are PLZ.
You know what is a PLB shotshell : brass case with a paper liner inside (going out of the case whan unloaded)
same for PLZ : paper lined zinc
The paper can be of different colors[/quote]

Hello Jean Pierre, When we are talking about 12 and 16 gauge the are indeed paper lined. But the smaller cases are plain Zinc cases with a cardboard topwad. When you empty them you will NOT find a paper liner inside.
On the 12 and 16 ga many colours are used indeed.

Regards René

[quote=“polman”][
Hello Jean Pierre, When we are talking about 12 and 16 gauge the are indeed paper lined. But the smaller cases are plain Zinc cases with a cardboard topwad. When you empty them you will NOT find a paper liner inside.
On the 12 and 16 ga many colours are used indeed.

Regards René[/quote]

Hi René

You are right, I took a view at my collection too quickly !
12, 16 (and also 20) are PLZ if rolled crimped (and all metal if strar crimped)
28 and 12 mm have indeed no liner if rolled crimped .
(They must also exist with star crimp but I have no more them to confirm)
About 24 and 14 mm gauges I don’t know, I don’t have them in my collection

JP

Hello JP,

I didn’t know about 20 ga, I do not have that one.
The 24 and 14mm are both made RTO without liner.
I have never seen any of these ( 24 and smaller ) with star crimp.
There are 12 ga made without liner. I have some of them in my collection.

René

I had some time during this week end to check the Fn production

1. Here is the same box as the screwgy one.
    There are 12 gauge shells, all zinc (no liner), but at the difference of the 28 gauge ctges they are star crimped and use no cork
  2. on the following picture you can see
    a) top row , from left to right: a box of PLZ ctges, the PLZ ctge from the box, an all zinc NPE ctge, another all zinc loaded flat star crimped ctge (the kind of ctge you ca find in the first box shown above).
    All these ctges are 12 gauge.
    b) bottom row, from left to right: 16 gauge PLZ ctge, 16 gauge all zinc ctge (conical star crimped), 20 gauge all zinc ctge (flat star crimped); 20 gauge rolled crimped, 28 rolled crimped (as the one of screwgy), 12 mm rolled crimped
    The next picture shows the top view of these ctges

As you can see there are two different knids of star crimping : the flat one and the conical one

JP
(PS : René, I won’t give my two hands to cut but I am pretty sure I used to have a 12 mm star crimped ctges)

Hello JP, OK keep your hands, I have never seen them but maybe somebody else did?
René

Zinc? Interesting, I have to make some corrections to my collection list since I listed them as brass+aluminium shotshells

I have these FN shotshells in 32, 28 and 12 gauge .All with roll crimp. Don’t know if they have paper inside since they are loaded samples