FA 51 - experimental 7.92x94 type thing

Here are better photos of the odd antitank cartridge which I was trying to figure out, any suggestions as to origin or purpose is appreciated:

It’s the one in the center. One the left is a 50BMG, and on the right is a 7.92x94:

Headstamp:

This cartridge has a hole-drilled case, and a struck primer, but is otherwise complete and appears to have the original projectile and original crimp. The bullet appears to be (and reacts to a magnet like) a typical M2 AP 30cal.

My example was ID’d as one of the medical museum experiments. HV .30 caliber bullet wound studies on tissue. But I take such descriptions with a grain of salt unless I can get them confirmed.

What is “medical museum experiments”? I think both the rounds on the left and on the right can deliver a nasty wound. Why to modify the cartridge itself if existing 7.62 rounds are known to produce wounds?

If it’s true about the medical experiment thing, it would have been done to test what a wound from an extremely high velocity .30 cal projectile would have been like. Tested against a dead pig or dead cow or who knows what. Maybe just tested against wood or metal or helmets?.. 30cal / 8mm / 7.62 was such a popular caliber back then. This ID may be a job for Woodin lab.

I believe in the 1920’s and earlier the US government conducted wound tests on live animals.This is what is being referred to by medical museum experiments. I’ve seen the books published documenting the testing & not at all pretty.
With a 1951 date it was obviously not in those early tests, but likely a later series of test done with humanely killed animals.

This would have been better suited for Halloween. The tests also included human cadavers that were hung by the neck and shot in different places to observe the reaction to various bullets. The bodies were then sent to a lab where the wounds were recorded and the bullets recovered. Not a pretty picture but medical experiments seldom are. It’s very likely that lives were saved on the battlefields because of them.

Ray