FA 7.62x51 Ammunition

The first FA 7.62x51 NATO cartridge is dated 1955. Right? At least it’s the earliest one I have. So, what is the latest date?

Ray

Wouldn’t the last date be the one on the so-called “Tombstone cartridge?”

Headstamp is "1816 FA 1977

John

I had forgotten about the 1977 Commemorative and I believe it would have been the last one made. I don’t have one but for some reason I thought that it was not a real cartridge and didn’t have the Nato mark.

Does anyone know the last year that FA made a NATO combat cartridge?? The latest that I have is an AP dated 1966.

The closest thing I can come to in a Nato mark is an +. I understand that many word processing programs can do overstrikes and stuff like that but I doubt if I could figure it out.

Thanks John

Ray

It is a real cartridge, but may be a dummy. I have two variations - one looks like a live round (plain brass case, brass primer, GM bullet). The other is entirely chromed or nickel plated (really looks more like chrome). I don’t know if they made any of these loaded - don’t know why they would. When I got mine, they were fairly common around, and not especially expensive. Have no idea what the current situation is on them. I have a sub-collection of commemorative cartridges, club cartridges, special headstamps (like Police Depts. or individual’s names, etc. - perhaps a little over 100 rounds. Lots I don’t have.

I have a cartridge thats suppose to be an “inert” dated 1968 (any info on this would be great)

H/S: + FA 68
Annuals colour: None
Primer: FB
Crimp: Ring
Projectile: GMCS
Weight: 379.4gr
Note: black primer

I have a couple of Low recoil rounds (XM256) dated 1966

• FA 66
    F A 6 6

Also a lacquered Steel cased marked dated 1966 (any info on this would be great)

H/S: + FA 66
Annuals colour: [color=red]Red[/color]
Primer: FB
Crimp: Ring
Projectile: GMCS
Weight: 354.5gr
Note: lacquered steel case

I can post pics if you want.

I can add (@=NATO MARK) Frangible with Green/White tip @ F A 65 and Duplex. M198, Green tip, F A 6 6. These are the latest Frankford 7.62 X 51 in my collection.

The + FA 55 is the first.

The FA 1816 1977 “Tombstone” does have the NATO symbol.

I have four variations of the “Starlight” tracer loadings with h/s + FA 68, so they were doing development work on the round into that year, at least.

The latest I have in my collection are a ball round h/s (+) FA 72 and a yellow tipped fumer round h/s (+) FA 71 (the latter is confirmed as a tracer type by x-ray).

Dave S

Kevin,
I also have an inert wieghted dummy similar to yours and with a blackened primer but headstamped ‘F A 6 6’. I don’t know where I got the identification from but I believe this to be designated 7.62mm Inert Dummy XM172.
Jim

With regards to Frankford Arsenal, end of production in all calibers.

5.56x45 H/S’s go into 1974 for some aluminum case blank loadings.

[quote=“Jim”]Kevin,
I also have an inert wieghted dummy similar to yours and with a blackened primer but headstamped ‘F A 6 6’. I don’t know where I got the identification from but I believe this to be designated 7.62mm Inert Dummy XM172.
Jim[/quote]

Thanx for the info, I wonder if there is a technical reference anywhere to the XM172 project?

I guess the M172 had to start out somewhere.

I asked my original question just out of curiosity because I had never seen a 7.62x51 FA + dated later than 1966. But, it looks like there is whole lot more to the FA rounds than I would have thought.

To any new collectors who might be looking for a field to concentrate on maybe this is your answer. Specimens are still widely available at little cost and you can be a pioneer.

Ray

I had (and may still have) several variations in 51mm dated 1949. However, the first FA load using the NATO symbol was 1955.

At one point I had quite a collection of NATO rounds, and wish now I hadn’t broken it up. May never see some of the variants I had again! Ah well, such is the life of a cartridge collector.

Cyber

I collect the pre NATO cartridges and have never had much interest in the post NATO except for experimentals and stuff like that.

The first 51mm case was the FAT1E3 and the earliest headstamp that I’m aware of is 49. The 49mm cases can be found with dates from 47 to 50 and the 47mm cases are dated 45, 46, and 47.

If any of you guys have cases or cartridges with dates other than those I’d like to hear from.

Ray