"FA I&P" match cartridge

This was sold to me as a military test round. After a quick look through C.Punnett’s famous book called “7.62x63” [Ray:) :) :)!!!] I now know that it is a match round, but… what exactly is “I & P”?

Vlad–I&P stands for International and Palma.

Vlad

International and Palma are two different types of competition. Palma is long range only, using service cartridges, whereas International can be composed of different yardages and different cartridges. Palma ammunition is usually loaded to higher velocity. For some reason, in 1927 the two rounds were loaded with a single headstamp, I & P. This continued until 1930 when they returned to two distinct headstamps.

I have no idea why this was done or how you can tell what the loading is once the cartridges are removed from the box.

There is also no way of knowing if the cartridges are Cal .30, 7.62x63, or plain old 30 aught six.

Ray

[quote=“RayMeketa”]There is also no way of knowing if the cartridges are Cal .30, 7.62x63, or plain old 30 aught six.
Ray[/quote]

They could be .30 Army too.

schneider

That was kind of a joke on my part. I didn’t mean to confuse anyone.

All of the FA I&P cartridges are Cal .30 M1906.

There were some “Match” cartridges in 30 Army (30-40 Krag) in the early 1900s but none were headstamped in a way that would identify them. There are most likely International and/or Palma cartridges from other countries but the only ones I’m familiar with are Palma.

Ray

I “got it”.