FA Tombstone Round

All, I recently acquired this for a modest 25 bucks. From reading HWS Vol. lll, page 231, I believe I might have one of 100? There is no plating or holes, but the HS impression doesn’t look to light to me, but I would like to hear from the experts what they think… nice round either way! As usual, thank you…

Check out my old post The rarest of the FA Tombstone 1816-1977 rounds (mistake)

Thanks. I must have missed something while searching earlier… very informative. Just glad I picked one up!

hfhubbard
Here is the chromed version for a look but for what occasion was the other one issued
with the stamp LC66 and 3 drilled holes as can be seen it is a Nato round By( Lake City)
Sherryl

The LC 66 NM chromed dummy was likely a “give away” souvenir of the Camp Perry National Matches that year. If so, they were probably only give to competitors in the Service Rifle event, although I have no documentation for that.

There is a similar round in .45 M1911 caliber, chromed with a small hole in the primer cup. The headstamp is the same format as for the 7.62 x 51 round shown, but is “RA 65 NM” and is from the 1965 Camp Perry match, again, in this case likely give out just to competitors in the Service Pistol match.

I don’t have a box for the 7.62 x 51 round, but I will show the box labels for the .45. They obviously used regular ball-cartridge match boxes, as the side label has the original lot number inked out, as well as the line showing velocity, which of course would not apply to a dummy cartridge. I have adjusted the side label photo so that the original print is clearly visible under the black mark-out, just for interest. It is very hard to discern as the box actually appears to the naked eye. The lot number for the dummy rounds, added to the label, is “5000.”

John Moss

3 Likes

John
Thanks very much yes your explination sounds absolutely plausibly
since I have other commemorative rounds I do not think they were
cheap to produce them as gifts?
Sherryl

Sherryl - I would not know anything about the cost. It would depend on how many they made, and whether they had to outsource the chroming process for these cartridges. They are dealing with tax-payer money anyway, so there wasn’t likely a lot of concern over cost.

I don’t think they did these for many years. They duplicated the LC 66 NM dummy in 1967. I have one from that year. The only other of these “give-away” dummy rounds I can think of, other than the Tombstone Rounds for FA already covered here, done in fairly recent years, is the commemoration of the 50th year of the .30 Model 0f 1906 cartridge, headstamped " ô USFA ô 1906-56" (the character “ô” was used by me to represent the Ordnance Bomb symbol found on the actual headstamp). This round has a chromed case, but a brass primer cup with a hole in it and a fairly normal, but highly polished, GM Spitzer bullet. There are no holes in the case.

I simply don’t know of any other years for the NM dummies other the 1965, 1966 and 1967. There may well be some.

John Moss

John
No I was not really refering to more of these types of commemoratives I have one in 11.3+50R
Belgien Comblain 4th Mod.And yes a rimmed 30-06 made by Bertram for an H&H shoot in 1991
with a bronze tipped bullet.That Comblain round is beutifully made P.P and is stamped ECCC 1965-1985
one thing is for sure on this one John this is not a cheap repro.I wonder today what the original price
was???

I also have a chromed give-away round LC 67 with three holes. I was also told it was given to shooters who participated. I just found some .30-06 commemorative today that I need to research, before posting here.

Sherryl - none of the cartridges I mentioned were made by civilian firms to commemorate civilian events. The cartridges I mentioned were made either by FA to commemorate the longevity of the .30-06 cartridge or the closing of Frankford Arsenal, and the .45 made by Remington Arms was a military contract for the military-sponsered matches at Camp Perry, part of the National Match events there.

There are scads of commercial commemoratives, especially made by Winchester. Interesting, but nothing to do with the military. The most interesting one I have in those is a 7.62 x 54R Mosin Cartridge headstamped, in Finnish, a Xmas gift to the arsenals employees. I don’t know exactly where that would fit in. I am sure it has likely been covered on this Forum before.

John Moss

1 Like

John, may you show the headstamp of that Finnish Xmas gift?

Picked this chromed plated non-magnetic 30.06 round up for a dollar. Head stamp R A H 18 flat primer

1 Like

Vlad - here it is. Don’t ask me for a translation though. It will take some who speaks Finnish to do that, I think. Pardon the poor photo. My HP Printer/Fax/Scanner is, basically, the pits.

I didn’t put the white-out in there - a friend who believes it makes for a better picture did it photographing it at my house. I never bothered to take it out. A properly-photographed headstamp does not need white-out in it, and that stuff sometimes leads to misinterpretations of headstamps, as it fills little scars that people can mistake for dots and dashes. This one seems o.k. in that regard., however.

7.62 Russ Finnish Gift Cartridge Headstamp

There are 32 characters in that headstamp, the most I think I have ever seen on a SAA case head.

By the way, there is nothing about that cartridge to absolutely confirm that it is a dummy round. While I cannot hear any power shake in it, that is not unusual in cartridges almost 100 years old. It looks like an ordinary ball round. GM FMJ Ptd Bullet, brass case, brass primer cup. No holes in the case or any other unusual points of identification other than the headstamp.

Edited to explain lack of “dummy round” ID

John Moss

2 Likes

My sister is fluent in Finnish. I sent it to her for translation. I’m sure she’ll get back to me soon as long as she’s still in country. She travels a lot. V/r Henry

Tom
Does the bullet pull out with your fingers, It looks like in might be a pencil. Or perhaps a lighter.

No, it’s in forever. Maybe it was ceremonial or parade item?

The “Tombstone” items I think are all wonderful collectibles. I have only managed to get the one shown below, chromed, with no drilled holes. The LC NM chromed items I have are 64, 66, and 67. I have not seen examples of, or reference to, a 65 dated example. Any out there?

The other item shown is rather neat as it has engraving on the case side: “C&GSC 1969 LCAAP” for Command and General Staff College 1969 Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.

While I’m naturally attracted to the shiny nature of these, they are not the easiest to get good images of! Dull brass/copper I can usually get OK…

Dave

2 Likes

Does anyone know approximately how many of the Match commemoratives were handed out? I have a LC 67 with three holes.

The only “65” dated dummy of this type I know of is the “RA 65 NM” dummy round by Remington Arms. Perhaps these NM dummies were given out on a different basis than I imagined at Camp Perry, etc. and only one caliber was made each year for the year-span they were made at all. That one for the C & GS College is great! I have never seen that before.

John M.

The LCAAP dummy was likely made as a handout to members of a class from the Command and General Staff College during a visit to the plant. Guess who the Commanding Officer of Lake City was at the time, the officer who would authorize the dummy? He’s the same officer who would later, as commanding officer of Frankford Arsenal, authorize the manufacture and distribution of the subject of this thread, the Tombstone 7.62 NATO dummy. He’s our own COL Frank Hackley, USA (Ret). It’s because of him that the Tombstone round exists.

1 Like