Fae 75

FAE 75 box? Correct bullet weight, but FAE 75?

(will not allow me to type in all caps in the title.)

Joe

“FAE” stands for Frankford Arsenal Experimental. The 82gr bullet used was the forward bullet of the 7.62mm T314E3 cartridge. Headstamp is most likely (+) FA 66. HWS III indicates that the experimental lots had plain bullet tips unlike the later FAP (FA pilot) lots which had white tips.

NATO Dave

Dave,

I looked all over HWS III and could not find it. What page?

Joe

Joe and Dave, lot numbers having an “E” suffix are quite unusual, but they are mentioned in documents reporting tests of a “Pre-production Lot”. The suffix used to denote an “Experimental Lot” is “X”.

Regarding HWS Vol. 3, an example is mentioned in p. 70 (5.56 mm AP-1). This is also the latest use of a FAE lot number before the lot numbering system changed (1975).

Regards,

Fede

This ammunition was developed by FA for the Agency. The program manager was Col (retired) Harold Burkett. the purpose of both this Light Recoil program and the related Mod 1.1 program for the M-1 carbine was to adopt US weapons for use by the Laotians fighting the Communists in Laos. The Lao people are very small by western standards and had a hard time handling an M60 with normal ammunition. Burkett had FA make the Light Recoil ammo for the M60. I think these were modified M60s but am not sure of that. The Mod 1.1 was a high lethality round for the M-1 carbine which was an ideal weapon for the Lao troopers, but lacked the killing power. The program developed a high leathality bullet that looked like the normal carbine cartridge. During the field trials, a Lao Sargent got 27 one shot kills with his carbine.

I know enough of this ammo was produced for field trials but I have no ideas of real operational usage. I knew Hal Burkett well for about a year plus before he died in about 1996 or 1997. He told me the stories himself and I still have some of the boxes of light recoil ammo he gave me.

Hope this info helps and explains why some aspects of this ammo is a bit different.

Cheers,
Lew

Joe see HWS III p193-194

NATO Dave

Dave,

Yes, seen that heading and read it, but no mention of FAE 75.

Joe

Fede,

Thanks for the info.

Joe

Lew,

Thank you.

Joe