Fake German Tool Dummies!

Tools used in Germany during WW2 in the manufacture of arms are typically marked with the maker and inspector I’m told. Cartridges to test packaging machines—I have no idea!!!

[quote=“philippe regenstreif”]I am afraid that this wonderful German gauges are just…bullshit…

Philippe[/quote]

If I had said that the Forum Political Police would have locked up the thread. It was what I was thinking- glad you said it. How does one say that in FRENCH ?

Well, CSEOD, our famed General Cambronne said exactly the right word in 1815 at the battle of Waterloo, when he saw that the old Guard had no more to do than to fight and die for Emperor Napoleon… !

It is very commonly used in spoken French, to-day and, being unwilling to make any offense to anybody here on this forum, I will translate it as

“de la m…” i.e; a 5-letters word meaning exactly “shit”, what it truly is!!!)

Nowadays, in an exquisite way, it is known as “Le mot de Cambronne”…(the word of Cambronne), and it is actually self-sufficient!!!
I think it corresponds exactly to these beautiful items!

Philippe

Being much more engrossed in the cartridges than in other items on this thread, I just really noticed the two gauges pictured, one marked “bnz” for Steyr-Daimler-Puch A.-G., Werk Steyr, and the other marked as being made by Merz-Werke, Gebr. Merz, Frankfurt a.M.-R.

Despite being for two different weapons, the P-38 Pistol and the other for the MP43, they are almost identical. Wonder what they were meant to gage that was identical on these two very diverse pieces of ordnance? Also, although seemingly made by two different companies, again, they are virtually identical as to shape, size, wear (brownish tone that I assume is oxidation, not a product of the photograph itself) and, most importantly, the markings. the style of letters is virtually identical on both gauges, including the second “A” in the WaA marking, which has quite a distinctive shape and somewhat unusual as well.

My opinion is that these flat gauges are fakes as well. Price paid at auction is irrelevant unless there was a reserve price. Prices are whatever the highest bid is, whether pennies or hundreds of dollars, no matter what the item is, in the absence of a reserve price.

Again, just my opinion.

[quote=“philippe regenstreif”]Well, CSEOD, our famed General Cambronne said exactly the right word in 1815 at the battle of Waterloo, when he saw that the old Guard had no more to do than to fight and die for Emperor Napoleon… !

It is very commonly used in spoken French, to-day and, being unwilling to make any offense to anybody here on this forum, I will translate it as

“de la m…” i.e; a 5-letters word meaning exactly “****”, what it truly is!!!)

Nowadays, in an exquisite way, it is known as “Le mot de Cambronne”…(the word of Cambronne), and it is actually self-sufficient!!!
I think it corresponds exactly to these beautiful items!

Philippe[/quote]

I LOVE IT ! THANKS FOR THE FRENCH LESSON. I will practice it!