Fakes

Well, it had to happen at some time but I still can’t work out why anyone would go to the effort to fake German 7,92x57 stripper clips. It’s not as if there’s a shortage of the things.

I bought these off a well known internet auction site in the full knowledge that they appeared dodgy. I wasn’t wrong. The makers marks appear to be laser etched rather than stamped and the large black one on the top row is actually a 7,62x51 clip made by Radway Green in 1966 (it’s marked inside the channel, beneath the spring).

What ever next?

Happy collecting, Peter

I am amazed.

The only clip which I can imagine faking is the SS marked one which Dr. Regenstreif owns. So far the only one known.

I am a buyer of an SS marked clip for $500 anytime. He won’t sell.

I have hundreds ( more likely thousands) of the others and up to now knew no collector who actually cared about these enough to pay more than a 25 cents for one.

I have a clip question. Many German boxes marked as being ammo on clips have no clips and no evidence that they ever had any. No typical marks in the cardboard or on the bases. What ??

I have seen entire battlepacks like this. Marked for clips but no clips.

Peter,

The only reason I can think of for such fakes is that the seller had access to very cheap (his boss’s?) laser etching kit and that he thought he could show a reasonable profit. This plan would only work if someone (you?) was prepared to pay over the odds to buy them.

That said, the use of the RG66 charger as a starting point shows a high level of ignorance/stupidity. The charger at top left looks as if it has a blued spring and may be Portuguese in origin.

gravelbelly

[quote=“gravelbelly”]Peter,

The only reason I can think of for such fakes is that the seller had access to very cheap (his boss’s?) laser etching kit and that he thought he could show a reasonable profit. This plan would only work if someone (you?) was prepared to pay over the odds to buy them.

That said, the use of the RG66 charger as a starting point shows a high level of ignorance/stupidity. The charger at top left looks as if it has a blued spring and may be Portuguese in origin.

gravelbelly[/quote]

David,

I’ve no idea of the ultimate source or provenance of these clips but rest assured, I don’t think I paid over the odds for them. I bought them for the oddities that they are, knowing that they could not be real. It’s a shame about the ‘P237’ one though, as it would have been a new maker.

The problem here, as with all things faked, is that the fakes will just keep getting better. If there’s a ready market then the producers will learn from their mistakes and might get to the point, when the item has aged a bit, where it’s tricky to separate the real from the false.

Caveat Emptor!

Happy collecting, Peter

A group of excellent fakes came out of Hungary several years ago including heavy artillery. The late Jim O’Brien told me that he bought a German 12mm AA projectile which was fake but so good that the only way he knew was that the waffenampt code number was wrong. That is some top flight faking ! Jim was an expert.