Fc 08 300 win mag

Just got this .300 Win. Mag. at a gun show this weekend. Headstamp is “FA 08 300 WIN MAG”. It has a dark blue or black PA and a SOFT POINT bullet. It appears to be a factory load, not a reload. I have never seen a .300 Win. Mag. with a dated headstamp. Is it a military contract. If so, why the soft point bullet.

Ron

Military contract 300 WM cartridges are fairly common. Back into the early 1990s and maybe even earlier. Before that you had the AMU cartridges based on the full length magnum case.

There are a couple of older threads on the Forum that you can search for.

I don’t know about the soft point bullet. Maybe it’s real and maybe not. All that I have seen have been FMJ or Open Tip, for either sniper or Match use.

Ray

Could it possibly be a contract for use by police snipers?

re: 300WM –

I’m not aware of any large US LE departments fielding .300WM rifles with anything other than standard LE ammunition…no specially contracted or sole-source sole-user stuff that I know of. The .300WM is relatively rare in US police use, with .308 dominating the police market as the industry standard for sniper/precision rifles. Lesser calibers in semi-auto platforms are making in-roads, but 5.56 and .308 still make up the bulk of US police purchases/marketing of centerfire rifles and cartridges. The USSS use of the 7mm RM is an oddball of sorts, but for good reason for their mission and at the time it was selected it was an excellent choice.

The USN has used the .300WM for a while now, and the new bonded military contract load from ATK/Federal is offered in .300WM as well as .308 and 5.56mm…maybe one of those, though the ones I’ve seen in their slideshows and procurement stuff (5.56) had open-tip profiles… I’ll ask around.

Hi

We have collection boxes of cartridges purchased recently with markings similar, but with several types of ball.
All with a joint primer blue.

Hstp	                          Model

FC 07 300 WIN MAG Fusion JSP
FC 08 300 WIN MAG Fusion JSP
FC 08 300 WIN MAG Power-shok Speer Hot-cor SP/BM
FC 08 300 WIN MAG Premier Vital-shok Nosler Accubond
FC 08 300 WIN MAG Premier Vital-shok Nosler Partition
FC 08 300 WIN MAG Premier Vital-shok Barnes Triple-shok
FC 07 300 WIN MAG Premier Vital-shok Trophy Bonded Bear Claw
FC 08 300 WIN MAG Premier Vital-shok Trophy Bonded TIP

Perhaps with a remains of cases of state orders ?

JMG–Thanks for that list that confirms that my Soft Point is a factory load, not a reload. I think mine is the following:

FC 08 300 WIN MAG Power-shok Speer Hot-cor SP/BM

The most likely explanation.

Ray

US military use of the .300WM is spreading, with a programme to convert existing 7.62x51 sniper rifles to take it (M24 IIRC). The military MK248 loading, produced by Federal, was recently upgraded from Mod 0 (190 grain Sierra MatchKing) to Mod 1 (220 grain MatchKing). So, open point bullets, but no softpoints.

Tony,

M24 is correct. Early in the M24 program a workable switch up to .300WM was part of the plan. Some of the guys I’ve talked to, esp. in Afghanistan, have said that units already sending the rifles back for maintenance/refurb have requested this due to the longer ranges encountered. Ammo supply can be difficult, much more so than for .308, outside of SF assets.

Dredging up an old topic here but I recently saw FC 09 dated 150gr soft points fresh from a box being fired off at feral pigs. I did pocket one for the collection though.