"FC 45-70 Govt" with a shotgun shell primer

What is being done/emulated in this reload?

? BLACK POWDER Reload,
? SURPLUS of Shotgun Primers
? Swollen LR primer pockets.

Any other possibilities?
Doc AV

1 Like

Is that 2 piece case? note the line or separation just forward of the rim. heavy crimp and a wad cutter style projectile. very curious…

1 Like

It looks like a 1 piece case, that line is the undercut many ammo manufacturers install for the reason I don’t remember. But I do remember asking about this undercut a long time ago.

Make the cases with a to big rim and trim to exact width.
Way easier than constantly having to adjust the tools.

1 Like

The perspective of the picture looked like a separation…
Possibly a Schutzen round?? The crimp/cannelure would provide a fixed seating depth for the paper punching projectile. The case would be easy to de-prime with a simple tool and easy to seat a new primer and handle the larger primer. With low pressure trail boss or black powder the case shouldn’t need resizing very often, propellants that do not take up much room in the case might benefit from the hotter 209 primer . (assuming fired in the same chamber) loading could be done with simple tools??? Just a WAG…
The case appears to have been loaded multiple times judging from the wear on the rim from extractors.

1 Like

DSCF1219
I tried to unscrew it at the junction. But it does not go. I think it is one piece.

Maybe for us in some sort of subcaliber insert for a small artillery piece??

2 Likes

Many manufacturers over the years have made cases with no annular relief undercut, but, one reason for making the cut is to eliminate the possibility of poor geometry between the case body and rim due to a draw die or heading tooling anomaly to not allow the case to properly chamber. The undercut is made with the same tool that ensures the rim is concentric with the case body. It is a relatively common machining practice used in other industries as well.

2 Likes

hello
for sportclay
it the “mini extractor groove” that you can see on many US rimmed rounds ,not a two pieces case

2 Likes

My first thought, for what it is worth, is what many people who have a Thompson Center Contender with the .410/.45 COLT chamber have been attempting to do for nearly 30 years in order to make it shoot worth a darn.
The best solution they have come up with was to use a 9.3x74mm case, trim it to chambering length [I have not tried, so I am not sure of the trim-to-length], run the neck through a .44 caliber neck expanding die, and seat .45 caliber Heel Bullets in it.
I have heard some have tried .45 Basic brass with worse results, and a few have tried to obtain .410 Brass shotshells, but I have not heard back about that.
This looks much like what they came up with…

1 Like

During the Obama administration, my local Walmart ran out of large and small rifle and pistol primers. Walmart never ran out of shotshell primers and I was tempted to modify low power cases like this to conserve my primer stash, but never followed through.

1 Like

I realize that but it looked like a thin line from my view of the picture I see it now.