FC 9mm luger headstamp

Is this 9mm luger headstamp a common one?
FC 9MM LUGER NT
It reads:
FC
9MM LUGER NT
rather than:
FC NT
9MM LUGER

Grant

Based on my own collection and experience, I would say that while the “NT” in the bottom headstamp entry is not as common as when “NT” is found in the top entry, but it certainly is not rare. I wouldn’t, however, classify any of the FC NT headstamps as “common as fleas,” as is, for example, the basic R-P and W-W headstamps.

John Moss

Not rare but certainly not common. I noted Federal started out with that 9MM NT type but has at least 5 others:

First FC (over) 9MM LUGER NT with pink primer and no primer crimp.
Second FC NT (over) 9MM LUGER with pink primer with primer crimp.
Third same as second except nickeled primer with primer crimp.
Fourth same as second except nickeled primer and no primer crimp.
Fifth (dot) F (dot) C (dot) NT (over) 9MM LUGER with nickeled primer with primer crimp.

Sixth FC 15 NT (over) 9MM – probably “remanufactured”, not with original primer and crimp removed.

Seems to be that I am going to have to go through my pile of 9mm brass again!

Grant

I just went through maybe 2,400 cases and found 3 of the third type. I thought that was alot.

For me, the FC NT 9MM LUGER is VERY common.

I Have a round just with the stamp F C 9mm Luger and down as an
experimental with the name of Lightfield Alpha enlightment is required
Sherryl

Sherryl

Like the brass from many of the major manufacturers, cartridges have been loaded by several manufacturers of smaller production, using FC headstamped cases.

John Moss

Thanks John
Sherryl

Federal changed their non-toxic cases from FC NT to FC NX. Also they make both drawn and extruded (Formax) cases with the NX:

left is drawn case, remanufactured, original had different primer; right is extruded case.