Features on the horizon

Howdy folks,
I want to pass along some things that are being worked on and will be incorporated into the forum. While more pressing issues are at hand: getting people through some registration issues, ensuring smooth day-to-day sailing, IAA Member access to B/S/T and some other server side issues; I did want to let you all know some things that will come around soon rather than later:

• Better integration with cartridgecollectors.org, including links
  • RSS feed
  • Additional vetting question for registration to prevent nefarious registrations

We’d be interested in hearing in what you all would like to see specific to forum enhancements. A couple of things have been mentioned before, and are not going to happen–such as image hosting. Hey, but we are all ears.

chris.

Opening up the avatar option.

Make newly answered posts move to the top by themselves, like it used to be. Presently one must scroll through the entire page to find them.

Dude…

What a word to drop on us !

Definite ten penny word

Additional vetting question for registration to prevent nefarious registrations

Adjective
extremely wicked or villainous; iniquitous: a nefarious plot.

Synonyms:
flagitious, heinous, infamous; vile, atrocious, execrable.

just had to look it up

Pepper

[quote=“Pepper”]Dude…

What a word to drop on us !

Definite ten penny word

Additional vetting question for registration to prevent nefarious registrations

Adjective
extremely wicked or villainous; iniquitous: a nefarious plot.

Synonyms:
flagitious, heinous, infamous; vile, atrocious, execrable.

just had to look it up

Pepper[/quote]

Pepper: Are you suggesting that people on this forum should eschew thier obfuscations and ebrace the vernacular?

[quote=“45Auto”]
Pepper: Are you suggesting that people on this forum should eschew thier obfuscations and ebrace the vernacular?[/quote]

I found Pepper’s post to be a rather succinct and convivial point of waggish phraseology.

‘careful boys
‘you start using brilliantly offensive verbiage…we’ll have to delete the post !

‘remember…I am just a chemist…I just mix Gatorade for a living !

Laughing is good for the soul !
(I do that sometimes when I see what I have paid for some rounds in my collection !!!)

Y’all are bein’ just a bit pedantical with this big word stuff. Therefore, we must strive, all of us, to be punctilious in our screeds.

Back to serious stuff now…

How about having the log in window open with the cursor already in the user name field, rather than having to click in the space to start typing. I know this is a bit trivial, but since the the only function of the log in window is for logging in, why not make it as effortless as possible.

I would like to second this motion :)
Kimzter

Not sure what is wrong with Kimzter and SKSVLAD, but on my computer they DO open at the top, just like before. Are you guys clicking on "General Ammunition Collector Discussion"
at the top. This refreshes the page and puts all the new posts at the top in orange.

mine seem to open “mixed”…not all “orange” up at the top…I don;t have my finger on what’s up as yet…still in a wait, try and enjoy mode as I make observations

Pepper

Pepper
They are “stacked” in reverse order (newest on top) by “last post time”. The reason your seeing “mixed” is that those that are still orange are those that you haven’t read the last post, yet.
Most forums have a “new posts since last visit” cookie or feature, and the lack of this is what (I think) is causing the confusion.

As far as orange vs blue thread titles, I am noticing that the difference from this forum version as compared to the old version is that in the old version, the new posts would appear highlighted only for that new session which I logged into. After that session, if I logged in again the posts would appear as old regardless of whether I had read any or all of those new posts. Presently however, as Tailgunner points out, the posts remain orange until you actually read them. I kind of liked the old way simply for personal convenience sake since I only actually read about 1/3rd of all posts. I know certain topics don’t interest me at all, and so to have the unread topics appear as not highlighted in the next log-in session was handy to me to identify which posts were actually new to me. I new which posts were of interest and I knew if I had already read them of course anyway. It’s no huge deal, now I just have to check the dates in the right-hand column to double-check if a posts is new or not, and I have to think a little harder as to whether a post is an ongoing one with new responses or whether it is actually a new one just blending in with all the other new ones. Again, the date-check alleviates that. I continue to explore the new user options though and I will probably eventually find a good way to view everything.

Another question: If I open an old post from the previous version, can I post a response to one of those and will it appear in the new forum? Or if I wanted to somehow re-birth an old post to have all of the original responses, would I have to cut & paste everything in a new topic?

a big 10-4 on grasping the color change if only after you have read a thread since a new posting. I think I like that and agreed with DK, I only read those that intrigue me…so some could stay orange for a long time…yes ?

(after all…who in the world wants to read about some “regular ol’ ball round” that does have some cool appearance or odd ball “special purpose” ?!!)

I just noticed a thread “that a message body may contain no more than 60000 characters”…pfew…we have some typing to do !!!

As an Admin. on this Forum, let me address some of the issues mentioned above.

1. You can get rid of all the “Old” orange topics by clicking on “Mark Topics Read” in the upper right part of the screen.

2. You can bring up a list of ONLY the new posts by clicking on “View New Posts” in the upper right part of the screen.

3. You can control how things are displayed by going to the bottom of the Forum. There you will find 3 drop down menus that allow you to determine how far back you want to view the posts, how you want the posts organized (by author, by subject, etc.) and wither you prefer Ascending or Descending order.

Hope this helps.

My screen does not show “Mark topic read”

Please excuse a moron,it"s there & it works!!!

Chris,

here is another idea for your users Christmas gift:

Writing something in the forum makes me miss some of that luxury we know from softwares like Word. For instance we can doubleclick to mark up a word - which is good, but we cannot drag-and-drop it. And when we “ctrl+x” and then drop you need to plan space before and behind the word.

Ehm , what about the “add a file” feature , so posting a picture without using photobucket or imageshack ?