FedArm 7.62x39mm

What can you tell me about the origins of this 7.62x39mm cartridge?

Appears to be re-manufactured with a confirmed M-43 projectile, but why the added cannelure?

Soviet head stamps from 3, 17, and 60, early 1970’s dates. Sold in the US from a Gun Broker listing. Came in a 500 round box with no markings.

Fedarm 7.62x39mm M43 - 2

1 Like

This could be an import from Techcrim in Russia, Techcrim is extensively involved in refurbishing ammunition.

For an example see: Techcrim / Russian 8x57 IS

Brian

Brian, knurled projectiles would be new for Russia, also Tekhkrim would reuse the original propellant and the one we see here is different from the Russian WUFL type. Unless this is the case my guess would be on surplus cases which got reloaded in the US.

Hello,

They are loaded in the US by FedArm using refurbished unprimed cases and bullets supplied by Techcrim in Russia. Cases are primed by FedArm using Berdan primers made by Murom in Russia. Powder is probably WC 844 made by General Dynamics at St. Marks.

A similar arrangement is carried on in Canada by Disco-Tech Industries (CanadaAmmo), who is using refurbished cases and bullets also provided by Techcrim. In this case they are copper clad steel already supplied with new primers and laser etched “7,62x39 DCC 2016”.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Thank you for that information Fede.

I am surprised they are using M-43 projectiles since this type is considered armor piercing here in the U.S. and carries some restrictions on sales and ownership.

These are no Russian steel core projectiles. Which btw have mild steel cores if so.

Yes, they are.

These cartridges were advertised as “steel core” and sold as such. The buyer confirmed that they are M-43 projectiles.

In the U.S., the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) determined that 7.62x39mm cartridges with a steel cored projectile (M-43) are armor piercing handgun ammunition. As such, these cartridges may not be sold by persons or businesses who have a Federal Firearms License (FFL), except to government or law enforcement agencies. Regular citizens may buy, sell, or possess them unless their state or local laws prohibit it.

The question remains, why was the serrated cannelure added to these projectiles?

AKMS, can you measure the bullet length and possibly weigh it?
Like EOD I find it hard to believe they are original Russian M43 bullets. The boattail simply is too long in my view, about one third longer than a typical M43 boattail. And like you I ask myself who would pay machine time for applying a knurl (low quality at that) to bullets that already have a perfect smooth crimp groove?

These cartridges are owned by someone else. This person cut one open and confirmed it is steel cored.

In my opinion, having collected the 7.62x39mm for many years, the pulled projectile looks exactly like an M-43. I beleive the cannelure being unnaturally placed above the normal location has created an optical illusion that implies the lower portion of the projectile is longer than it is. Weight on the pulled projectile is 122.7 gr.

The bullets used are very intriguing indeed. They were shipped by Techcrim from Russia directly to FedArm and Disco-Tech, so they are not something that was made, purchased or modified in the US or Canada. Also, they are pulled bullets, and more important, all of them show pulling marks over the knurled cannelure, which means that there was a cartridge out there loaded with exactly the same bullet that was dismantled to reuse its components. Can’t think of any, so maybe Techcrim had access to some surplus 7.62x39 cartridges that we have not seen before.

Regards,

Fede

Or the knurl was applied by Techkrim to deceive people as these projs. might be subject to Russian export law.
Applying a knurl may exclude it from being attributed to be a standard PS.

This is my theory.

I beleive the cannelure was added in an attempt to disguise the true nature of the projectile.

Just conjecture on my part, but maybe the cannelure was added to the projectiles while still in the loaded cartridges before being pulled. It would explain the location of the cannelure being higher up than normal. Perhaps the machinery available at Techrim only allowed for this approach.

Knurling while being seated would make little sense and would bear the risk of damaging the case.
Also machinery for doing that would be more complicated.
And main point: usually the cartridges had CM seals and these had to be removed before knurling as otherwise we would see remnants of it in the knurling.

Agreed. Just speculating.

Perhaps the pull marks are deeper than the knurling tool used to make the cannelure and the knurling tool simply rolled over them.

Most likely!

It is just kinda weird to see the knurling added for no technical reason.
Maybe also to “Americanize” it?