Field of dreams

If this has been posted already please remove . There is no back story for the picture that I could find. But there looks to be alot of good body’s that could be used. Anyone have any idea where this could have been? random-shite-2019-04-25-06

Philip

These old hand grenade bodies have an irregular fragmenting behaviour that is inferior to modern designs. In short, the pre-formed structure should be on the inside, not the outside of the body. Unexpected large fragments could endanger own troops.

I think the heap is most probably in the U.S. because a) the shapes look very American and b) everywhere else the bodies would have ended up in a steel mill to recover the iron.

Jochem, these are F-1s, so my guess is on some place in the eastern world.
But these have been demilled in many places in this world so they can be found easily.
Given the rusty surface it appears that these were burned for disposal and not molten out (usually F-1s are loaded with TNT). So the disposal method (incineration) here speaks for little environmental concern and again for the “east” (with all possible exceptions which I will not list as that will take too long and bore people to death - making my words more lethal than the grenade bodies in the image then).

The cast iron of the bodies here is of low quality (alloy wise) I think and is not in the highest demand. Also the image does not mean that these are still in place or that the land lord will allow recovery.

The outer shape is said to be existing for a better grip with cold and dirty hands. A problem encountered in the trenches in WW1.
Also fragmentation of cast material seldomly is along the grooves when used with a real HE filler (blackpowder as used till WW1 merely made the bodies “crack open” rather than to cause a good fragmentation).
Inner prefragmentation sure matters with high grade forged or drawn steel.
And of course I am speaking like a blind about colors as the whole subject is highly deficile and was/is subject to hundreds or thousands of experiments and studies.

I for my part never liked all those plastic grenades with about max. 3mm steel balls as their effective range is small and penetration low. Also the plastic matrix is taking too much room and reduces the size of the HE charge and is further degrading effectivity.
Forged/drawn steel bodies with inner prefragmentation were always my favourite.
Just my opinion.

About 3 years ago I came upon a photo taken in WW1 of a giant field of used artillery shells some where in France.

Did you turn the picture over? Whenever my Mum takes a photograph, she always writes where it was taken on the back. Perhaps the person who took this one did the same :)