Find of the day: strange bullet design

I encountered this .22 short cartridge today. What about the bullet design? I never saw this before. Magnetic bullet. Was it “common” for some time or did it have some special purpose?

Dirk,

Looks like a Western “Kant-Splash Disintegrating” Gallery load. Magnetic due to the projectile composition being sintered iron.

In the days long past, shooting at fairs, carnivals, etc. was very popular and these types of bullets reduced the hazard of ricochets.

Dave

3 Likes

Very interesting and new in the collection, now.
Thank you!

Dirk

There is also a 22 short Winchester -Western Num-rite cattle killer with an iron composite bullet similar to yours.

Here is a previous post on iron bullet 22 shorts gallery rounds.

Paul

Winchester had the same round different HS, I think called Spatterpruf of something like that. I remember shooting them at Scout camp.They punch a nice clean hole in the paper like a wad cutter

1 Like

The frangible bullet .22 Short was sold under both the Remington and Peters brand name, and Winchester and Western had something similar. The principal use was for carnival shooting galleries. Remington and Peters also sold those on the open market, Remington’s name was “Rocket,” I don’t remember the name Peters used. They were sold in a flat cellophane-wrapped tray back in the 1950s. I don’t remember how many cartridges were in the pack, maybe 28 or 32, anyway, less than 50. The bullet was made of iron powder in some plastic matrix. When the bullet struck a steel target it would sometime make sparks. Most shooting gallery rifles were chambered to use .22 Short ammunition only. Jack Frost’s book “Making Ammunition” relates an interesting lawsuit filed against Western involving those shooting gallery .22 rounds. And, yes, there was a .22 “Num-Rite” animal slaughter round sold by Winchester that had a composition bullet round, In fact I think there were several varieties of it for different animals. Remington had a composition round like it also for slaughterhouses, which I think was called “Safe Stun” or “Stun Safe.” Remington also made a special super-safe .22 rifle used for slaughtering purposes, and those have an unusual design, and are very seldom seen.

I have a packet of the Remington “Rocket” .22 short in my hand right now (28 to the pack)and put a magnet on the projectile, and it is indeed strongly magnetic. The package states," develops higher speed and greater power than ordinary .22 Shorts". I would imagine a steady diet of these through the average 22 rifle might be detrimental to bore life. Even mild iron is harder than lead.

Here is an iron composite bullet by Winchester Western (Gallery?). It has a slightly different bullet than duqjans.

22 short Kant-Splash HS

Paul

2 Likes

Anyhow,both are “Kant Splash”.

Makes me with I had stashed a handful of the .21 Shorts from the shooting galleries at Cony Island [New York] and Ocean City [Maryland] when I was a kid.
In both cases the “range” backdrop was over the ocean for misses, and this was before I ever saw the BB rifles used at the galleries.
Ahhh, those were the days!

In San Francisco, when I was a kid, there was “Playland at the Beach,” defunct for more years than I care to remember. Their shooting gallery used .22 Short Caliber rifles, all their guns would chamber, but I don’t recall ever seeing a round, as you never handled the ammunition - the guns were loaded by the guy running the concession, and out of pre-loaded tubes holding the amount of shots you got for 25 cents. Anytime I could get out there with an adult (required), I did and spent all of my meager funds at the Shooting Gallery! The guns were Model 1890 Winchester Pumps. When I was a bit older, I bought a very nice .22 short caliber Model 1890 and still have it, although haven’t shot it in years. Pure nostalgia! I wish I could say what cartridge they were using, but that wasn’t a point of interest for me when I was 7 or 8 years old.

John Moss

1 Like

Surprisingly in this politically correct modern age, there are still .22 Shooting galleries in the UK.

The first real firearm I ever fired was a Winchester pump action .22 Rifle at one of those galleries. They were using .22LR which I remember as I kept a handful of the spent cases.

1 Like

Yes, they loaded the rifles for us, but I remember thinking I could eject a loaded round and pocket it… maybe a dew times?