Find of the day

Yesterday, there was the first 2019 show of the NVBMB, the Dutch ECRAsection.
The box in the pictures caught my attention: of course I know the blue-silver and yellow-green pattern of the FNboxes of 6,35 and 7,65mm so this all green one surprised me a bit.
It seems it contains factory loads of the 6,35 FN cartridge but I found three different cartridges in it. The ones with cupronickel bullet seem very usual. But never seen before the right one: a lead bullet on a kind of brass socket? My first thought was a longer case but all cases are the same.There are four specimen in this box. Is this something exceptional? Maybe an experimental?

Very nice looking cartridge. On the .32 Auto with brass jacketed soft point, I do not see a crimping cannelure. The 9mm Browning Long with the brass jacket, has a crimping cannelure, but it’s quite small. I do not have a 6.35.
Were all with the brass jacket loaded to the same OAL?
Also, which two have the brass primer?
Thanks,
Dan

The lead bullet with a half-jacket of brass is a common FN bullet type from early on (I don’t know exactly when they were made, but they are old). They are known in 6.35 mm Browning, 7.65 mm Browning, 9 mm Browning Short and 9 mm Browning Long. I have never seen or heard of this bullet type in anything but the four calibers from FN associated in some way with Browning.

I have not see one showing any of the crimping groove above the case mouth, but since all of the specimens I have (multiple in three of the four calibers; only one in 9 mm Short). It looks to me like the bullet was not seated all the way in originally. I say that, because due to the light weight of the 6.35 mm Bullet, they are very hard, near impossible, to pull with an inertia bullet puller. It was quite interesting to see the very wide and very deep crimping groove. The very heavy roll mouth crimp is typical of FN, it seems, on these calibers.

If I find a dupe of the 9 mm Long with this bullet, I will pull the bullet on one. Again, because of the light bullets and the heavy crimp, it is hard to pull the 6.35 and 7.65 mm rounds, but a 9 mm Long should pull easily with an inertia bullet puller.

John Moss

Did anybody (of the usual suspects) ever cut one of these maybe?

From FN c. 1938 catalog (Spanish edition):

• Full metal jacket: 9, 11, 14 and 16 (9 mm Browning Long, .380 Auto, 7.65 mm Browning and 6.35 mm Browning).
  • Soft point: 10, 12, 13 and 17 (same calibers as above). Boxes are labeled "balle à demi-revêtement".
  • Lead: 15 and 18 (7.65 mm Browning and 6.35 mm Browning).

34-35