Finn 7.62x54r 200 gr. dummy

What Finnish 7.62x54r load used a 200 gr. lead core projectile? I pulled the projectile from a typical chrome plated Finnish 7.62x45r dummy cartridge and found the projectile to be GMCS jacketed, flat based, lead cored and 1 3/8" long. I presume the projectile is from some other service load and was not made just for use in this dummy cartridge.

Also, what time frame were these chrome plated dummies made? This particular specimen is headstamped “VPT 44” but dates from the 1930’s to the 1960’s are known. Was there just one large run of these made in the 1960’s from odd lots of fired brass or were they in production for a number of years?

AKMS

It’s probably a D166 bullet. Lapua still makes them and they are 200 grain. It should have a double row of impressed tracks around the bullet just above the case mouth.

No clue on when the dummies were made.

Definately not a D-166. This projectile is a full 1/4" longer than a WWII vintage D-166. I understand that there is a “new” D-166 that has a boat-tail, but this one is flatbased.

Anyone?

AKMS

I have one that looks exactly like this:

Headstamp is VPT 44. The tinned bullet also is 1 3/8" long and weights 200 gr. The case is made of tinned brass and has a punctured primer. The part of the bullet that’s in the case, is not tinned but copper plated.

Yes, this is the exact round. It is not tinned, rather it is chrome plated. The plating is HARD. I had to use a cut-off wheel in my dremel tool to section the case and projectile because the normal metal cutting saw I use slid right off.

I think that the process of chrome plating the cartridge hardened the steel jacket material as it was very hard to cut through with a saw. Is this possible for the steel to have been tempered by the plating process?

AKMS

There are variations of those dummies. I have them with what I believe are Type S bullets and D166 bullets. I have one where the bullet is not fluted like most of them. They are all chrome plated.

In 1938-9, there was a bullet made for the Finnish Air Force called the S-261. It was 200 grains, flat based, and was 32.8 mm long. Maybe they found a small amount and loaded them into dummies later.

My particular specimen measures about 35.5mm long, but your information is the best I have heard so far. Knowing the Finns, they let nothing go to waste. So, if there were a bunch of S-261 projectiles left over or pulled-down, then it might make sense to use them in these dummy cartridges…

The gentleman I am sectioning this cartridge for has a large assortment of these dummy cartridges and will be weighing them to see if there are variations in projectile weight…

Ooh, I love a mystery…

AKMS

Chrome plating in general is very hard. Lathe turning a piece of chrome plated steel even with carbide tipped turning tools generates quite alot of heat. If you try and touch the stuff I turn with a file or saw, it will just slide right off.