Finnish 7.62x54R box of "VPT 26"

This beatup box contains 3 identical “DM in circle” chargers. All ammo is “VPT 26”. Did Germany make these chargers contractually for Finland or it is just a coincidence of 3 DM chargers being re-used in a single box?
DSCF2117

Just reused chargers and here in a home guard box. Probably reloads.

Our Finnish experts may clarify.

1 Like

My impression is that at least some of these clips were newly acquired by Finland post 1918 from DWM. I suppose DWM might still have had these stored away somewhere from the Great War and sold them to Finland in the '20s. I had several boxes of Finnish 7.62 m/m ammunition years ago and all, or nearly all, of the clips were DM marked and didn’t look like recycles to me. Is there any evidence DWM made any 7.62 m/m clips during the war? Jack

1 Like

Germany made plenty of the cartridges and clips in 1916-1917 for captured weapons.

I am not sure when it happened but remaining stocks were delivered to Finland after it became a state. I assume delivery happened maybe in 1918 as by then the war with Russia was over, Finland was just born (with lots of German involvement) and the Germans had no need for the ammo anymore.

1 Like

EOD: Thanks for the information. I remember I was disappointed in the number of shiny new DM clips I had acquired, while actually hoping, I suspect, for some cyrillic rarities of which none were found. Jack

1 Like