Finnish ammunition

hello
I saw this soldier with cartridge in 7,62 x 39 mm with grey tip.
I didn’ t know this cartridge, what is it ? help me. thanks

Could that be “egg shell blue” (as opposed to gray ?) as on the many calibers of Russian (???) factory dummy rounds I have seen (and purchased) these last couple of St Louis Cartridge Shows…I may be inserting “foot in mouth”…but some photo’s like this, could be demonstration/marketing photos…but if you took this photo of a soldier fielding this ammo on duty…my theory is way out the door…and I too want a round or two of this cartridge.

Pepper Burruss
IAA President

To all of our Forum users & visitors…if not already a member of the IAA…consider joining us…your membership strengthens our Association and in turn would be supporting our fine Journal, and ever evolving website and Forum…it’s inexpensive…especially the new e-journal option !

thanks for your quick response, it is very strange to colored tip for dummy cartridge!

White tip is a tracer round.

Tonu

thanks

do you have the name of the cartridge?

thanks

I have no comment on the tip color shown in the picture. It doesn’t look white to me, though.

Pepper - the blue tip should be proof loads, I think. that’s what I was told two different times with Makarov rounds I picked up, both dummies.

Samourai - it is not strange at all for dumy rounds like these to have color tips, seals etc. Most of the best 9 x 18 Makarov loads I have from Russia are dummies of tracer, AP, proof, etc. that come from the various military shows in Europe, like Eusatory, where they are displayed with all the correct colors and looking like loaded ammunition except usually for a small hole in the case and a snapped primer, to show how the ammunition for various purposes is marked. Further, the Russians used to put proper color-coded tips for various rounds on fluted-case dummies provided in training kits for instruction in ammunition to the troops. While I don’t have any examples of this of my own, in pistol ammunition, I know they exist, and I have had fluted Russian dummies with Yellow tips, and red over black tips, that came out of a training kit.

You also find Russian commercial loads from the shows like SHOT show, or IWA at N

I think this is straying a bit.
The cases are brass, and thus I would say they are Finnish and not Russian. My white-tip Finnish 7.62x39 tracer rounds are from the 70s or 80s, and the color may now be more on the gray side. I really can’t be sure of what’s in the pic above, but I’m pretty sure the rounds are not Russian or Soviet dummies.

Finland-White tip = tracer round
This is a normal standard round in Finland.

third round of the left

Samourai - it is not strange at all for dumy rounds like these to have color tips, seals etc. Most of the best 9 x 18 Makarov loads I have from Russia are dummies of tracer, AP, proof, etc. that come from the various military shows in Europe, like Eusatory, where they are displayed with all the correct colors and looking like loaded ammunition except usually for a small hole in the case and a snapped primer, to show how the ammunition for various purposes is marked. Further, the Russians used to put proper color-coded tips for various rounds on fluted-case dummies provided in training kits for instruction in ammunition to the troops. While I don’t have any examples of this of my own, in pistol ammunition, I know they exist, and I have had fluted Russian dummies with Yellow tips, and red over black tips, that came out of a training kit.

when I write it si strange to have dummy with a color tip I think real dummy for army. this picture are take during an exercice.
I’m agree in military show you can have all cartridges in dummy but they are built for be easy for going in foreign countries. sometimes they send weapons without bolt.

thanks gyroget for your picture, do you know the name of this cartridge?

thanks

If my Finnish is correct it should be :

7,62 RKIVP VJ313 (abbreviation as on the box)

and

Valojuovapatruuna 7,62 RK vj 313 p herm (as described in general)

For details check the excellent book of Pauli Salo on this subject.

iaaforum.org/forum2/viewtopic.ph … pauli+salo

I put the picture into photoshop and adjusted it, the tip colour still looks grey.

Well, the snow in the background also looks grey, it is all a question of light when the image was taken.

Adjusting the image to have white snow also shows us white tips.

thanks a lot at all for your help

samourai

Nice work EOD!

albeit a drawer photo…you should be able to appreciate the rounds to which I refer…blue tipped (egg shell or “sky blue” in my opinion)…as accumulated from Peter Petrusic and told to me…100% dummies…empty drilled cases…and ID’d as such for factory/marketing use (???)

bought all but one different caliber in 2006, last one in 2007 @ SLICS

Pepper

To all of our Forum users & visitors…if not already a member of the IAA…consider joining us…your membership strengthens our Association and in turn would be supporting our fine Journal, and ever evolving website and Forum…it

PS…why would a clip be loaded full of tracers ?

(I am not a gun guy…so I simply do not know the answer to the question…I am not being arguementative…just curious)

And I agree…as a professed “color tip” collector…shades, fading, photography…all lend intrigue to our quest

Pepper

Well,

one good reason to load magazine full of tracer is just to have some “after sunset fullauto fun”. I

It is possible the IMI rep was just trying to cover for his ignorance. IMI marks subsonic ammo with a blue tip.

I remember loading belts (Mag58) and magazines (M16 and AKM) with 3 or 4 tracers at the end, as a reminder to reload, but not top.

That’s really interesting Jon. I like your technique of loading extra tracers at the end to remind you to reload. Very cleaver !

Jason

[quote=“Pepper”]PS…why would a clip be loaded full of tracers ?

(I am not a gun guy…so I simply do not know the answer to the question…I am not being arguementative…just curious)

And I agree…as a professed “color tip” collector…shades, fading, photography…all lend intrigue to our quest

Pepper[/quote]

Pepper,

At the ECRA meeting in Switzerland in 2006 there was an ammo box stencilled up for .30 Tracer ammo in 8-round clips for the Garand. Why would Garand ammo be issued as 100% tracer?

gravelbelly