Fiocchi 9mm observation

I picked up a couple of 9mm para Fiocchi boxes today noticing two box colors. One is Made in Italy and the other is “Assembled in the USA”. Otherwise the rounds appear the same with brass case (headstamp G.F.L. 9mm LUGER), brass primer and brass 115 gr fmj bullet. The very dark blue (almost black) “Assembled in USA” box uses a black plastic tray and the “Made in Italy” box uses a whitish-clear tray. Were these for different markets? Is there possibly a difference in powder? Outward appearance of the cartridges are indistinguishable. Both of Fiocchi of America, Ozark, MO address.

Gary - It is getting very hard to distinguish the products of Fiocchi, Italy, from those Fiocchi brand products made in the USA and those made in Hungary.

I recently bought 25-round boxes of Fiocchi 9 mm and .40 S&W, and in the instance of both of them, the cases are nickel-brass Starline cases, complete with the Starline headstamp! By the way, that was the first post-war use of 25-round boxes for Fiocchi pistol rounds of those calibers being sold in America that I know of.

I don’t understand the use of the CIP information on boxes of ammunition that imply they are loaded in the USA. Regardless of components, it would seem to me that SAAMI would be the “governing body” for ammunition loaded here, not CIP.

Well, I certainly haven’t answered your question. Is there really any answer that applies across the board with this stuff today?

John, though the ammo is loaded in the US it does not mean that FIOCCHI is not keeping the door open to market the ammunition in Europe too.
Also it may be that other parts of the world may prefer a CIP cerification. Featuring the CIP marks does not hurt after all.

EOD - I have no problem regarding the CIP mark for exports. My point was simply that coupled with circumspect wording about nationality, and now the use of even non-Fiocchi headstamped brass, it all combines to make any kind of positive information about the real source of materials and loading factory more difficult for the the collector to discern. The shooter probably doesn’t notice or even care about any of this. The use of other headstamps has made identification for those of us who pick up singles a nightmare of book-keeping.
If you don’t immediately record, and probably mark the cartridge as well, info from your source or a box it is purchased out of at a show, it becomes hard to identify with the habit of companies using each other’s brass now legion.

Right now, I probably have over 100 9 mm Para alone, not to speak of other calibers that I have received and because I simply don’t have time for the bookkeeping any more, I can no longer identify.

All the new headstamps are fun until companies other than that represented by those headstamps start using the brass.

John, I fully agree with you!