Fireworks as ammo

A number of holidays are approaching…Canada Day…USA Day…sorry…the 4th of July…Bastille Day…maybe some other ones. A lot of ammo…sorry, fireworks will be used. So, I decided to post pictures. Which countries still allow firecrackers in “civilian” hands?

Vlad, Germany does only for new year and there are strict regulations on the maximum content of explosives in one device. Also the “powder” has to be “slow” and no metal powder is allowed in and the produced noise is not allowed to exceed a certain level. All fireworks on “free” sale for persons of legal age have to have a special certification mark without noone is allowed to posess or use such an item (in consideration of illegal fireworks imported to Germany). In certain regions fireworks are not even allowed for new year because there are too many old houses with wooden constructions and thatched roofs.

Some more fireworks as Guns, Tanks & Ammo

[color=#FF0000]WARNING! SHOOTS FLAMING BALLS![/color]

I haven’t seen one of those tank fireworks (top photo) in years Pete! It brings back lots of good memories. When I was a kid I spent summers with my grandparents in New Mexico, where fireworks were legal. That’s also where I became interested in cartridge collecting. Between the Army/Navy stores and the fireworks stands, I blew through my summer spending money pretty fast!

Frankly, I am amazed that fireworks can still be freely bought in UK. However, firecrackers (bangers as we called them) were banned some time back. A lot of shops blatently flout fire regulations but nobody seems to care.
I need a special licence to buy/own/store a single tub of black powder and yet I can go out and buy a whole car full of fireworks.

New years eve at midnight its like a re-enactment of the bombardment preceeding the battle of the Somme round where I live.

[quote=“VinceGreen”]
I need a special licence to buy/own/store a single tub of black powder and yet I can go out and buy a whole car full of fireworks.
.[/quote]

Vince, it might be the same as here in Germany, the blackpowder used in freely available fireworks is “retarded” and has a lower burning speed than regular black powder.

[quote=“EOD”][quote=“VinceGreen”]
.[/quote]

Vince, it might be the same as here in Germany, the blackpowder used in freely available fireworks is “retarded” and has a lower burning speed than regular black powder.[/quote]

I am not so sure that is the case here. When I was a kid most fireworks were cardboard tubes that burnt down spraying pretty coloured flames out if top.

Today they are more akin to mortars that have a propellent charge to fire an air burst “shell” high into the air which then explodes very loudly with all the visual effects associated with fireworks.

In fact firework technology and ammunition technology is identical in this respect. The powder used as the propellent and the powder used as a bursting charge gives every indication to me of being full strength black powder.

This is strange to me given the imbalance in the regulations for owning and storing an identical substance (blackpowder) when the only thing that is different is effectively the way it is packaged.

Sksvlad,
I especially like that “ammo” next to the Midnight Dynamite in the last picture!

Yes, how can you beat bikini babes on packages of explosives? What a great country this is!

Dave

Back when my friends and I were much younger and not so smart, we used fireworks as ammunition. Bottle rockets in a short length of pipe made for a fun “bazooka” to shoot at each other…Of course, who did’nt use firecrackers to “bomb” airfields full of model airplanes or simulate mortar attacks against those little green plastic army men? Of course, in my day I never saw fireworks packaging with semi-nude women on it… I’m sure I would have bought a lot of it!

I even simulated the destruction of an “ammo dump” when by accident I dropped a lit firecracker into a .50 cal. ammo can full of loose firecrackers!

It’s a wonder we still have all of our body parts intact and never burned anything down…

AKMS

Hell, I STILL do crazy stuff with fireworks, gun powder, dynamite, gasoline, and semi-naked girls. Ok, I lied about the girls.

Ray

I think some if not all of my early learning on ammunition technology came from messing with firecrackers as a young boy. It may sound frivolous but its how I started on the road to where I am today.

[color=#008000]AKMS wrote:
Back when my friends and I were much younger and not so smart . . .[/color]

My brother had two 40 medium firecracker packs with the fuses hanging out in his back pocket in a brand new pair of blue jeans one day.

I lit the fuses with a lighter as he walked by…
[color=#BF0000]And blew that pocket right off…[/color]

He wasn’t happy .

Be very Carefull with explosives.

Glenn