Flash holes in dummies

I understand that flash holes are drilled. Both of these are dummies, one has a hole, the other does not. Why bother drilling a flash hole in 7.62x39 if it will never see fire?

I must admit that I know nothing about this, but would like to take a “guess”. Could it be that the dummies with the flash hole are simply made with empty tactical shell cases just for ease of production? Just a guess.

Jason

Jason - you are pretty much on. Cases are used as available for dummies. There is no guarantee Winchester even made this dummy 7.62 x 39. For example, Brownell’s had dummies with black cases made up for them and various new cases were used - Winchester, Starline, etc., depending on the caliber. They were blackened when they were made into dummies.

Also, dummies are often made on reject cases. Sometimes , it is specificed in a contract exactly how they will be made, and a contract might indicate “no flash holes” as part of positive ID that it is a dummy. Another buyer might not case - he might just say “no primer, and a black case” or “no primer and a tinned case.” It is up to the buyer when they are military dummies. Up to the manufacturer when they are dummies to be sold under their own factory line. Some dummies made on Berdan cases have a normal primer pocket, some have no flash holes, and some even have the anvil drilled out of the pocket - again, depends on the buyers specs or how the factory wants to do it. That’s why there are hundreds of different dummies in some calibers, like 9mm, and when I say different, I mean different means of ID as a dummy.

John Moss

Most flashholes are punched, not drilled. If it’s punched as part of another step in the process, it may be hard to eliminate it. Depends a lot on the process, machinery and dies being used.

Ray

Thanks, John & Ray! I learned something.

J

Ray - Right. Another reason why if there is no contractual specification for “NO flash holes,” a lot of factory dummies have them.

John Moss